SteelSeries Rival is falling apart, what should I replace it with?

ProbablyJack

So my SteelSeries Rival has been falling apart for the last few months or so, I intended to send it to be replaced in February but shit got mad at University and my warranty expired by the time I wasn't busy using my PC for assignments.

Anyway, I am looking into getting a decent mouse for gaming, preferably with at least two thumb buttons and this time with no rubber grip as if it goes anything like the Rival did, it will all rub off all over your desk leaving a horrible dent in your mouse. I tend to play a mixture of RPGs, FPS and MOBAs just so you know what kind of use it will get.

I figured I'd ask here as you guys know quite a lot about what's good and not good. I was a bit of a SteelSeries fanboy when I bought my setup, so I didn't look into competing products because I'm an idiot. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

https://imgur.com/gallery/d0JLp

Cheers ;)

"Technology is just another thing to distract you from the real joys of life."

- Filthy Frank

49 minutes ago, ProbablyJack said:

So my SteelSeries Rival has been falling apart for the last few months or so, I intended to send it to be replaced in February but shit got mad at University and my warranty expired by the time I wasn't busy using my PC for assignments.

Anyway, I am looking into getting a decent mouse for gaming, preferably with at least two thumb buttons and this time with no rubber grip as if it goes anything like the Rival did, it will all rub off all over your desk leaving a horrible dent in your mouse. I tend to play a mixture of RPGs, FPS and MOBAs just so you know what kind of use it will get.

I figured I'd ask here as you guys know quite a lot about what's good and not good. I was a bit of a SteelSeries fanboy when I bought my setup, so I didn't look into competing products because I'm an idiot. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Cheers ;)

P_20160902_214953.jpg

P_20160902_215006.jpg

any chance you can repost the images?

On 9/2/2016 at 10:43 PM, Jstone said:

any chance you can repost the images?

I just replaced the images with an imgur link, as they didn't seem to be showing correctly. It just showed the wear on the grip to be fair.

- Filthy Frank

How long have you had that thing? I have had a Rival for about 2 years now and it shows no signs of anything like that. 

You should get the Logitech G502. I had a Rival and it was okay but I wanted something with more buttons and more versatility and god damn I love this mouse so much. It is a touch heavy so if you play very competitively I do not recommend but if you just love to game this mouse is perfect!

Take a look at the Logitech G403. It has the PWM3366 sensor, which is the best one on the market, it's lightweight (unlike the G502) and the shape kind of resembles Zowie's EC lineup. It's coming out soon™.

The Rival 300 has improved sidegrips; mine's been holding up nicely for a year and there's almost no visible wear.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

25 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

Take a look at the Logitech G403. It has the PWM3366 sensor, which is the best one on the market, it's lightweight (unlike the G502) and the shape kind of resembles Zowie's EC lineup. It's coming out soon™.

The Rival 300 has improved sidegrips; mine's been holding up nicely for a year and there's almost no visible wear.

I was about to leave a post recommending the new Logitech G403 Prodigy aswell. The size and shape is somewhat similiar to the DeathAdder (which I personally like) and most people say that Logitech mice are built to last.

I have one of these coming soon (ordered one two days ago actually). I can leave some impressions when it gets here and compare it to my DA Chroma if you want. :)

8 minutes ago, Vox_Lusa said:

I was about to leave a post recommending the new Logitech G403 Prodigy aswell. The size and shape is somewhat similiar to the DeathAdder (which I personally like) and most people say that Logitech mice are built to last.

I have one of these coming soon (ordered one two days ago actually). I can leave some impressions when it gets here and compare it to my DA Chroma if you want. :)

That's a mouse I'm genuinely interested in. It will be really nice if you post a member review, since I'm sure it will be useful to a lot of people who are in the market for a new mouse. ;)

Did you get any ETA on it?

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

27 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

That's a mouse I'm genuinely interested in. It will be really nice if you post a member review, since I'm sure it will be useful to a lot of people who are in the market for a new mouse. ;)

Did you get any ETA on it?

I'm not very good at doing reviews but I'll do my best.

Nope, no ETA yet. Some people have been saying in the overclock.net forum that they ran out of stock on these, but I'm not entirely sure if this is the case or if the mouse simply haven't been fully released to the public yet.

According to the Logitech webstore FAQ the parcel should take a few more days (maybe two weeks or so) to get here. I ordered with standard shipping since I couldn't get the express shipping option to work (at least not for free, like the standard shipping method was).

I hope I'll find a nice replacement for my DeathAdder. Pretty much everything about the G403 is looking good to me. Nice cable, great sensor, nice shape and size for my hand size and grip style, decent weight, enough buttons, RGB leds (which aren't really necessary, but a nice extra none the less) etc..

Just now, Vox_Lusa said:
Just now, Vox_Lusa said:

Just be aware that it is shorter and overall higher, also feels narrower compared to the DA as it flares less out.

On 9/6/2016 at 9:15 PM, colebi wan kenobi said:

How long have you had that thing? I have had a Rival for about 2 years now and it shows no signs of anything like that. 

I've had it for about a year in February. By then it was falling apart on the grip. I looked it up and apparently it was a fault in some of the Rivals from a while ago, they changed the material they used for the grip but I somehow got an old model. I didn't have time to send it off for RMA unfortunately.

By the looks of what you guys have been saying I'll look into Logitech mice, they sound pretty good.

- Filthy Frank