Need help finding the right camera

I want to begin looking for a camera. It will be used for journalism (photos that will be professionally printed/published through my school). They have some that I have been renting to use for a while now (Canon Rebels and some Nikon D series DSLRs) that work well for our purposes. I was looking at buying my own DSLR but they are bulky and expensive so I turned to mirrorless. To my dismay they are also pretty expensive, but I would still prefer them for the smaller size. Can anyone recommend a good one that will be at least comparable to the specs of those DSLR's for less than $300? Does such a thing even exist? 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Mirrorless cameras will always be more expensive than DSLRs. 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

43 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I want to begin looking for a camera. It will be used for journalism (photos that will be professionally printed/published through my school). They have some that I have been renting to use for a while now (Canon Rebels and some Nikon D series DSLRs) that work well for our purposes. I was looking at buying my own DSLR but they are bulky and expensive so I turned to mirrorless. To my dismay they are also pretty expensive, but I would still prefer them for the smaller size. Can anyone recommend a good one that will be at least comparable to the specs of those DSLR's for less than $300? Does such a thing even exist? 

Do you actually need an interchangeable lens system? If not there are some options for cameras that are compact, light weight and capable of taking photos that are more than suitable for journalism.  And of course, those kinds of prints that appear in news papers are not really high quality print jobs.

Does the camera have to be brand new?  You can find something like a Sony A5000 on the used market.  Or perhaps a Canon EOS M or Nikon 1 series.

For $300, you can definitely find something in the second hand market.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Do you actually need an interchangeable lens system? If not there are some options for cameras that are compact, light weight and capable of taking photos that are more than suitable for journalism.  And of course, those kinds of prints that appear in news papers are not really high quality print jobs.

Does the camera have to be brand new?  You can find something like a Sony A5000 on the used market.  Or perhaps a Canon EOS M or Nikon 1 series.

For $300, you can definitely find something in the second hand market.

Many of the photos are going to be of sports and also in low light conditions, so I'm not sure how a point and shoot with no interchangeable lenses might perform then. Would those have full manual mode? I do definitely still need that (aperture control, white balance, shutter, ISO, etc). I could do second hand although I'd rather not have to. I think I probably don't need interchangeable lenses as long as the permanent one has a decently wide angle to start and solid zoom (enough for getting good pictures from bleachers, etc.). I'll check out those used ones, but is there anything new that would fit that description? 

44 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Mirrorless cameras will always be more expensive than DSLRs. 

I've noticed. Really would rather have one for the size, though.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

14 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Well, used and without a lens. Still maybe an option though.