Need a Gaming CPU

okay, lets say i have a z97 motherboard laying around, and a z170 motherboard laying around and a motherboard for fx 6300. which cpu would be better for gaming the g3258 overclocked max, g4400 overclocked max, or the fx 6300 oc'd to 4.6 ghz.

im building a gaming pc for little brother i can buy a g3258 or g4400 for like 40-50 bucks and i have a fx 6300 laying around somewhere but i was under the impression fx series are no good for gaming these days

cpu - i7 4790k  gpu - evga sc 980ti   ram - 16gb gskill sniper 

oh wow i didnt think this deserved its own thread which is why i asked it in the g3258 vs g4400 thread, mods must have thought otherwise

6 minutes ago, Asses_Of_Fire said:

okay, lets say i have a z97 motherboard laying around, and a z170 motherboard laying around and a motherboard for fx 6300. which cpu would be better for gaming the g3258 overclocked max, g4400 overclocked max, or the fx 6300 oc'd to 4.6 ghz.

im building a gaming pc for little brother i can buy a g3258 or g4400 for like 40-50 bucks and i have a fx 6300 laying around somewhere but i was under the impression fx series are no good for gaming these days

Go for the G4400. This will allow a possible upgrade to a Kaby i5 / i7 later down the road for when he feels the need to play demanding games. Sell everything else (unless you plan on building computers with it).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Asses_Of_Fire said:

oh wow i didnt think this deserved its own thread which is why i asked it in the g3258 vs g4400 thread, mods must have thought otherwise

the fx 6300 has the most headroom for ocing but it's a very aging system right now.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

the 6300 isn't bad for more multi core cpu intensive titles but i actually run a g4400 and get a solid framerate boost thanks to the higher ipc it has, even though it's a dual core. It's on par with the newer i5s in terms of ipc and runs most games pretty well... aslong as he's not playing things like city skylines or games that really need more than 2 cores the g4400 is the best option

Edited by J400

yeah i think he mainly plays cs go and overwatch....he might want to play bf1 though....im giving him my old 290x i had laying around also

1 minute ago, Asses_Of_Fire said:

yeah i think he mainly plays cs go and overwatch....he might want to play bf1 though....im giving him my old 290x i had laying around also

The g4400 platform is probably best then and can be more easily upgraded in the future.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

I don't know if exactly how multi core intensive the new battlefeild is but I play no mans sky with the g4400 and it does very well considering how much of a cpu intensive game it is

I don't know if exactly how multi core intensive the new battlefeild is but I play no mans sky with the g4400 and it does very well considering how much of a cpu intensive game it is

thanks guys, i'll just get him the g4400 so he can upgrade to i5 one day (he probably wont,he's 13)