Mixing 60hz IPS monitors and a 120hz monitor

Renegade Paradox
Go to solution Solved by Master Valafar,

I have 3 1080p monitors, the BenQ 2420T (the one you are talking about) at 120 Hz and the others running at 60Hz, running on crossfired-7970s. With AMD Catalyst on Windows 7, you can run EXTENDED displays setup with different refresh rates ; so your 2420T(X) will run at 120Hz while the others will run at their max refresh rates. However, of course, you cannot run Eyefinity at 120 Hz with monitors only accepting 60 Hz.

Hello,

I am trying to decide if it would be possible to add another monitor to my dual 27 inch 1440p IPS monitors. They both run at 60Hz off of my Gigabyte HD 7970 overclocked with 3Gb of video ram, and I found (what I perceive to be) a good deal on a 120hz Ben Q monitor featured here. (http://www.woot.com/offers/benq-24-120hz-3d-ready-led-monitor-1) I was wondering if it would be possible to run the 120hz monitor as well at the 60hz monitors together in say a set up with the 120 as my main winged by the IPS panels; this way I could game on the 120hz in FPS style gaming and use the IPS for browsing, videos, ect. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could help me figure this out before the sale on the monitor expires.
Thanks

My specs are: i5-3570K, 8Gb of DDR3 1866, 512 M4 Crucial and a UD3h Gigabyte Motherboard.

I understand that I may need more video ram to run all monitors at full 120 and I may upgrade to a Titan or whatever will be coming in the next iteration of graphics cards, I'm more interested if it is possible to run them all together as they are at different refresh rates.   

You can't run 60Hz monitors at 120Hz but yes that setup will work. Why not get a 3rd matching monitor though?

You can't run 60Hz monitors at 120Hz but yes that setup will work. Why not get a 3rd matching monitor though?

I realize I cannot overclock the IPS monitors to 120 fps and that doesn't bother me as i got them for the resolution and color reproduction . I just wanted to make sure that the possible new one will be able run at 120hz while the others are only capable at 60hz as I don't know if Windows 8 or Catalyst will allow me to have variable refresh rates on  different monitors. I would rather try the 120 hz monitor then get another IPS as 2 is already extremely large as a set up and I feel I might really enjoy gaming at 120fps and if not I can always sell the monitor and stick with my dual set up. The deal just seems very well priced for what it is and I figured why not give it a shot as I don't feel the need for another 1440p monitor.

It should be fine, as long as you don't do cloning.

Your GPU power saving features will maybe (depending on the GPU model) disable itself, if you are on 1 GPU, due to inability to sync the refresh rate of both display exactly the same, but beside a bit more heat, you should be fine.

Note: I have not tested this. It does support 2 screen with different resolution, so I don't see why it won't be able to work with different refresh rates, is the logic I am going with.

So I could be wrong. You can always have some weird GPU model limitation.

I have 3 1080p monitors, the BenQ 2420T (the one you are talking about) at 120 Hz and the others running at 60Hz, running on crossfired-7970s. With AMD Catalyst on Windows 7, you can run EXTENDED displays setup with different refresh rates ; so your 2420T(X) will run at 120Hz while the others will run at their max refresh rates. However, of course, you cannot run Eyefinity at 120 Hz with monitors only accepting 60 Hz.