A bent pin

How do i know if the cpu socket has a bent pin?

Do any of the pins look bent? (if you're unsure, post a picture -- not a potato picture please)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Do any of the pins look bent? (if you're unsure, post a picture -- not a potato picture please)

i cant get close enough with the camera to the pins to even tell

1 minute ago, Endrivia said:

Try from an angle maybe? 

If you really can't get a good clean shot, then get the best that you can. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

Check to see if they're crooked. It might be worth it to get to an eye-level with the socket as well if possible.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This is as close i could get.

Spoiler

20160826_192051.jpg

Spoiler

20160826_192150.jpg

Edited by Guest
Fixed images and put them in a spoiler.

Push the CPU as hard as you can to the socket to get a base sample, see all the ones that are lying against the bottom of the socket now??? These are all the bent ones. Just send us a picture

Is it not showing?

4 minutes ago, jeonjaeng said:

Push the CPU as hard as you can to the socket to get a base sample, see all the ones that are lying against the bottom of the socket now??? These are all the bent ones. Just send us a picture

i did

4 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

This is as close i could get

I fixed your post to show the images, and stuck them in spoilers to prevent excessive scrolling.

As far as the pictures are concerned, I do not see any bent pins.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Neither do I, if there is a bent pin anywhere its going to be on the bottom of your photo, that is to blurry to make out.

This is what a bent cpu socket looks like

Spoiler

tmp.png

Edited by Godlygamer23
Fixed image and put it in a spoiler.

2 minutes ago, jeonjaeng said:

This is what a bent cpu socket looks like

Thanks for giving me nightmares tonight.

What's worse? Boogeyman or bent pins? Bent pins for me.

6 minutes ago, zJordan said:

Neither do I, if there is a bent pin anywhere its going to be on the bottom of your photo, that is to blurry to make out.

Its not in that area it looks weird in real life i dont know how to explain.

Just now, Endrivia said:

Its not in that area it looks weird in real life i dont know how to explain.

Well, you'll have to show us somehow and circle what you're looking at.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Thanks for giving me nightmares tonight.

What's worse? Boogeyman or bent pins? Bent pins for me.

Lol you didnt even hear the RMA story behind it... Some guy accidently put thermal compound into the CPU socket then tried to use a wet towel to wipe it up :)

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Well, you'll have to show us somehow and circle what you're looking at.

Thats the thing it looks fine in the picture but to my eye it looks different.

Just now, Endrivia said:

Thats the thing it looks fine in the picture but to my eye it looks different.

What part looks different? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, jeonjaeng said:

Lol you didnt even hear the RMA story behind it... Some guy accidently put thermal compound into the CPU socket then tried to use a wet towel to wipe it up :)

The first problem was the towel. Those pins are very fragile.

Lol no the first problem was putting thermal compuond on a CPU socket instead of a CPU. And this isn't mine i found it on the ASUS facebook

1 minute ago, jeonjaeng said:

Lol no the first problem was putting thermal compuond on a CPU socket instead of a CPU. And this isn't mine i found it on the ASUS facebook

It probably would've worked fine if he had just left the thermal paste in the socket and didn't try to wipe it up. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What part looks different? 

The left side of the socket

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

It probably would've worked fine if he had just left the thermal paste in the socket and didn't try to wipe it up. 

The problem is that if you have non-conductive paste, that can actually cause the pins to become isolated from the conductor pad on the CPU.

And it would be considered FOD if it were found at my workplace(I don't think we use socketed chips though. They're all soldered to the board). Basically, it doesn't belong in the socket, and needs to come out anyways.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

The problem is that if you have non-conductive paste, that can actually cause the pins to become isolated from the conductor pad on the CPU.

And it would be considered FOD if it were found at my workplace(I don't think we use socketed chips though. They're all soldered to the board). Basically, it doesn't belong in the socket, and needs to come out anyways.

If he would have just gotten it off the tips of each of the pins it would've been find, and doing that probably wouldn't have caused too much damage. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler