Upgrading rig, need advice

theereal

So next week Im ordering a 6700k and a GTX 1070 for my PC, and I was wondering what else do I need? I need a new MOBO obviously and DDR4 memory, any recommendations? I do not Intend to overclock anything. I would prefer If I could keep most of my current parts.

Rig;

i5 4460

GTX 970

Krait SLI Edition MOBO

x61 Kraken CPU Cooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

Seagate 1TB

Windows 10

I would prefer If I didnt have to spend too much on ram and a mobo, but I dont want a potato MOBO or Ram. Im buying the GPU off Ebay, Is that a bad Idea? I can get It for half the price, In Norway a 1070 Is 800USD, but I can get It for 475 off Ebay. Which 1070 model should I get?

What's the point of going to 6700K when you don't even overclock? Save it to 6700 if you really don't need to OC. I haven't been into 1070 and 1080 so I can't tell which brand should you go with, perhaps MSI and Gigabyte (my trusted brand in Malaysia) or Asus. 

1 minute ago, CJ Chua said:

What's the point of going to 6700K when you don't even overclock? Save it to 6700 if you really don't need to OC. I haven't been into 1070 and 1080 so I can't tell which brand should you go with, perhaps MSI and Gigabyte (my trusted brand in Malaysia) or Asus. 

Beacuse even If I dont OC the K version has a base clock of 4Ghz whilst the non K has a base clock of 3.4Ghz

3 minutes ago, theereal said:

Beacuse even If I dont OC the K version has a base clock of 4Ghz whilst the non K has a base clock of 3.4Ghz

In this case... Go ahead and get the K version then

PSU if fine, CPU cooler is fine, you can also keep same case I guess.

You only need:

SSD: Samsung evo 850

Motherboard: Z170 krait / Z170 pro gaming / deluxe (whatever you can afford)

And some DDR4 ram ... 16GB is a new standard :P 

Is it worth buying over ebay? Well you can get it for half the price, but you will have to pay import taxes and charges. At least I had to when I was ordering anything worth more than 50$. Also there are scammers on ebay, so if you decide to buy from ebay, look for seller that have a lot of feedbacks on that particular GPU that you are buying.

About GTX 1070 ... just get any version that you can afford. They will all perform the same. I would get one with 2 or more fans, that's for sure.

And I agree with you buying K version of CPU even if you don't want to overclock (yet).

Maybe after some time you will feel more comfortable and push that CPU to it's limits :P 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

8 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

PSU if fine, CPU cooler is fine, you can also keep same case I guess.

You only need:

SSD: Samsung evo 850

Motherboard: Z170 krait / Z170 pro gaming / deluxe (whatever you can afford)

And some DDR4 ram ... 16GB is a new standard :P 

Is it worth buying over ebay? Well you can get it for half the price, but you will have to pay import taxes and charges. At least I had to when I was ordering anything worth more than 50$. Also there are scammers on ebay, so if you decide to buy from ebay, look for seller that have a lot of feedbacks on that particular GPU that you are buying.

About GTX 1070 ... just get any version that you can afford. They will all perform the same. I would get one with 2 or more fans, that's for sure.

And I agree with you buying K version of CPU even if you don't want to overclock (yet).

Maybe after some time you will feel more comfortable and push that CPU to it's limits :P 

I usually only buy from top rated sellers, and this Is also the case with the GPU, you think I will be okay? Never been scammed before on Ebay, but still paranoid :P

3 minutes ago, theereal said:

I usually only buy from top rated sellers, and this Is also the case with the GPU, you think I will be okay? Never been scammed before on Ebay, but still paranoid :P

If seller have high reputation, it should be fine.

You are also covered by ebay and paypal + you can always request chargeback from your bank.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

If seller have high reputation, it should be fine.

You are also covered by ebay and paypal + you can always request chargeback from your bank.

Allrightie, thanks for the help :)