porterpilot

Hi guys,

Started a new Z170 build last week:

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum

Asus Maximus VII Formula

Asus Strix GTX 1080

Corsair H100i GTX

Corsair HX850i

After initial success, after a few days I kept getting blue screen errors and a boot loop. Then the system failed to even post with a 04 PCH initialization before microcode loading q code. Took it in to be troubleshot by a local computer store and they suggested it was a bad motherboard. I RMAd the motherboard and got the new one today and low and behold the system is doing the same thing. I've swapped the power supply but am not able to test the ram or cpu to see if there are any issues with them, any suggestions?

Thanks tried that, tried clearing the CMOS too, same issue. Talk to the tech again and he said he swapped out the ram for a new kit and still had the smae issue. Last option is the CPU, think I will try to rma it today and see what happens.

There's also PSU but it's platinum... Well I'd say the chances of a faulty PSU of this grade are about the same as the chances of a broken skylake.

Ive answered a lot of post fails before and you seem to know your stuff, im just going to throw possible causes at you

Loose or partially dead cpu (they have backup tracks/traces but sometimes even backups break)
Loose or incompatible ram (with the motherboard), so yeah I found out this is a thing the hard way, Ram cards use ram modules, each motherboard list has a list of supported modules
Unstable Power supply
Unable to hand over Display control to the correct GPU, lets say for example you have integrated and discrete gpu, you only use HDMI output on your GPU card but you forget to plug in power for the gpu card, post will try and hand over to the integrated and other problems with graphics handover stuff

Faulty bios chip (Should have been fixed by a motherboard)
Some (ANY) overlapping positive and negative tracks in anywhere, could be a disk drive or an optical drive or between the cpu and mobo, could be a piece of your watch scraped the case and fell in
Broken ram slots, swap em like hell 1 stick only 1 slot at a time
Did you forget to put the 8pin onto the top left of your board. I did once lol
Have you given the full 24 pin and not just 20 to your motherboard if it has connectors for it.
Is your CMOS battery charged and all the way in,
is your cmos jumper all the way in
check your System IO, trust me I know it sounds stupid but I have put the power led into the wrong pins on the motherboard 4 times ina row whilst knowing I did it wrong 10s ago

Too much ram for your motherboard to support, too high of a clock or too low of a frequency, check your motherboard page
Same as the above line for processor
Are any of the pins on your PCI devices scratched or overlapping, also check the same on your ram cards

Are there any cables between your motherboard and the case
Does your power supply have a 120/240v switch on the back and is it in the right place

Edit: I might be able to throw more at you but im slowly getting to the more rare and rare ones so check those first lol

16 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Ive answered a lot of post fails before and you seem to know your stuff, im just going to throw possible causes at you

Loose or partially dead cpu (they have backup tracks/traces but sometimes even backups break)
Loose or incompatible ram (with the motherboard), so yeah I found out this is a thing the hard way, Ram cards use ram modules, each motherboard list has a list of supported modules
Unstable Power supply
Unable to hand over Display control to the correct GPU, lets say for example you have integrated and discrete gpu, you only use HDMI output on your GPU card but you forget to plug in power for the gpu card, post will try and hand over to the integrated and other problems with graphics handover stuff

Faulty bios chip (Should have been fixed by a motherboard)
Some (ANY) overlapping positive and negative tracks in anywhere, could be a disk drive or an optical drive or between the cpu and mobo, could be a piece of your watch scraped the case and fell in
Broken ram slots, swap em like hell 1 stick only 1 slot at a time
Did you forget to put the 8pin onto the top left of your board. I did once lol
Have you given the full 24 pin and not just 20 to your motherboard if it has connectors for it.
Is your CMOS battery charged and all the way in,
is your cmos jumper all the way in
check your System IO, trust me I know it sounds stupid but I have put the power led into the wrong pins on the motherboard 4 times ina row whilst knowing I did it wrong 10s ago

Too much ram for your motherboard to support, too high of a clock or too low of a frequency, check your motherboard page
Same as the above line for processor
Are any of the pins on your PCI devices scratched or overlapping, also check the same on your ram cards

Are there any cables between your motherboard and the case
Does your power supply have a 120/240v switch on the back and is it in the right place

Edit: I might be able to throw more at you but im slowly getting to the more rare and rare ones so check those first lol

Thanks for the overwhelming response! Reading through I have tested a lot of them and all are good. I've built the system out of the case right now to swap what I can. Everything in the system has now been tested with working compatible parts except for the cpu, I've also cleared the cmos and used the mem ok! button and tried with the GPU installed and off the onboard video. All to no avail.

Just got off the phone with Intel, should have a new chip by the weekend so I will try it and see where I get from there. Its just weird that it worked flawlessly for a few day then crapped out with me not doing anything to it. 

Thanks for the quick response.

1 hour ago, porterpilot said:

Thanks for the overwhelming response! Reading through I have tested a lot of them and all are good. I've built the system out of the case right now to swap what I can. Everything in the system has now been tested with working compatible parts except for the cpu, I've also cleared the cmos and used the mem ok! button and tried with the GPU installed and off the onboard video. All to no avail.

Just got off the phone with Intel, should have a new chip by the weekend so I will try it and see where I get from there. Its just weird that it worked flawlessly for a few day then crapped out with me not doing anything to it. 

Thanks for the quick response.

My first ever intel board for my first board blew up after a year and a bit, like literally no lights nuttin. I still think your best bets are unplugging literally everything except the essentials if you havent already done so. Could also still be ram incompatability, I know it worked before but ram compatabillity is one of those things that no one has a fkin clue about, like seriously when my old board went up and I was talking to the RMA guy at asus he told me its a thing and no one in his large office really gets it lol