AX,GS,TX or HX from corsair(or seasonic X series)?

Giggitygoebbels
Go to solution Solved by tycheleto,

No RM series PSU selling in my country,and any config will still land me with a 7790 max as the6XXW, 7XXW and the 8XXW w only differs by a few(less than 10 between the 6XX and 8XX) dollars,so i see no point in 6XXW/7XXW for me in this senario.Any option still result in me getting a 7790 max.Which is a low end card.

Maybe in the future i will cfx/sli 780/290X instead then.But is 850W enough?also which PSU i mentioned is capable of doing that?Or is a 1050/1200W one necessary?I an planning to get a 6670 in all situations so that money is saved and when i upgrade that card can be thrown into an i3 HTPC.Which have a fsp hexa 500W incapable of running most graphics cards.

The other stuff that will be running in this ghetto rig will be:

Rampage IV Black Edition or Extreme(need 8 dimms,and high end vrm,will run from dawn to dusk everyday and even 24/7 during june/november and december)

hyper 212X

8GB RAM(cannot upgrade yet in the moment due to some private reasons)

840 (vanilla) 120GB SSD

1 3TB 7200rpm,1 500GB 7200rpm

No case-will drill holes(no standoff,just countersink screw into the plugs,loose of course,will not cut PCB) on a concrete wall to mount the parts directly and separately onto the wall.

850W should be sufficient for 2 way SLI/CFX unless you are doing really extreme overclocks, so it's definitely enough. The problem with getting a PSU with way too much wattage is you do sacrifice efficiency, and this can add up if electricity is expensive and you are running the system 24/7.

If you cannot afford to wait for the RM Series, I would go for the AX850 then. The wattage that PSUs use is the output wattage, not the wattage from the wall, so all the Corsair/Seasonic PSU should be able to handle it. The GS series does not have modular cabling, so you will end up with a lot of excess cabling that is messy and just not worth it in my opinion.

The 7790 just doesn't match up well with the rest of the system in my opinion, you really want something higher end if you want to be doing gaming. If you are 100% sure you can upgrade soon, I suggest you get the 6670 first, live without real gaming for a while, and then move the 6670 to your HTPC and get a proper high end GPU. The 7790 may be usable for now, but it's not good enough for decent gaming, and it's probably a bit too expensive to buy it just for an HTPC.

So for my domain controller/workstation ghetto build,i plan to get one of these power supplies:AX850,HX850,TX850 or GS800.If i go with AX/HX,i will get a 6670.So HX is out of the equation,unless there is a compelling reason to get the HX instead of AX other than price(5$ diff).If i get a TX,i can get a 7730.If i get a GS,i can get a 7790.However,i might plan to crossfire up to 3 cards(one low end ,one low mid,one mid range OR 2 low mid and 1 mid range OR 2/3 mid range) in the future,and my assumption is the GS 800 and TX 850 will blow up in most situations above i mentioned.

If i get the GS,the probable future route will be either 2 mid OR 2 lowmid(7790) 1 mid.

If i get the TX,the probable future route will be either 2 mid OR 2 Lowmid(7730) 1 mid.

If i get the AX,the probable future route will be either 2 mid OR 1 Low(6670) 1 lowMid 1 mid.

Oh yea one extra one:Seasonic X series 850W,will get a 6670 if getting this one.

Which combi should i go?Also these PSUs all cannot handle 3 CFX Mid range cards right?(running 4820K)

I should state these legends because some people might mix up:

X6X0 series and below low end

X7X0,X8X0 and R7 low mid

X9X0,R9,X870 XT mid range.

Not getting nVidia because gonna run Server 2012 and I need the video drivers to run.

Thanks for any advice.

So for my domain controller/workstation ghetto build,i plan to get one of these power supplies:AX850,HX850,TX850 or GS800.If i go with AX/HX,i will get a 6670.So HX is out of the equation,unless there is a compelling reason to get the HX instead of AX other than price(5$ diff).If i get a TX,i can get a 7730.If i get a GS,i can get a 7790.However,i might plan to crossfire up to 3 cards(one low end ,one low mid,one mid range OR 2 low mid and 1 mid range OR 2/3 mid range) in the future,and my assumption is the GS 800 and TX 850 will blow up in most situations above i mentioned.

If i get the GS,the probable future route will be either 2 mid OR 2 lowmid(7790) 1 mid.

If i get the TX,the probable future route will be either 2 mid OR 2 Lowmid(7730) 1 mid.

If i get the AX,the probable future route will be either 2 mid OR 1 Low(6670) 1 lowMid 1 mid.

Oh yea one extra one:Seasonic X series 850W,will get a 6670 if getting this one.

Which combi should i go?Also these PSUs all cannot handle 3 CFX Mid range cards right?(running 4820K)

I should state these legends because some people might mix up:

X6X0 series and below low end

X7X0,X8X0 and R7 low mid

X9X0,R9,X870 XT mid range.

Not getting nVidia because gonna run Server 2012 and I need the video drivers to run.

Thanks for any advice.

There is absolutely no point in doing three way crossfire in low end cards. The scaling of crossfire isn't perfect, so beyond two way you don't even gain as much performance. Not to mention the increased power consumption, potential stability issues, micro stuttering, and the fact you're trying to run mismatched cards, which will be limited by the weakest card. Even 3 way crossfire in higher end configs aren't that ideal, and usually only reserved for super expensive builds, which I take it you're not doing.

As such, getting a 850W PSU for a single card/dual card is probably overkill. Perhaps you should be looking at a 750W unit instead, which is definitely enough for a single card, and probably enough for dual card configs as long as they are not too high end. Should also ask whether or not your setup has a lot of other peripherals/drives/components that will be needing extra power.

Both Corsair and Seasonic have very good power supplies, the Seasonic X Series Gold/Platinum are some of the best reviewed power supplies out there. Modular cabling can be a big benefit of the higher end units as compared to the GS, which I find much more convenient and a lot neater too. Noticed you didn't mention the RM series, seems like a good lower cost alternative to the AX/HX which is also very efficient. Personally, if the price difference between the AX and the HX is small, I'd go for the AX if you want the best Power supply out there, else I'd go for the RM with a better GPU.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

RM series are the best IMO.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

There is absolutely no point in doing three way crossfire in low end cards. The scaling of crossfire isn't perfect, so beyond two way you don't even gain as much performance. Not to mention the increased power consumption, potential stability issues, micro stuttering, and the fact you're trying to run mismatched cards, which will be limited by the weakest card. Even 3 way crossfire in higher end configs aren't that ideal, and usually only reserved for super expensive builds, which I take it you're not doing.

As such, getting a 850W PSU for a single card/dual card is probably overkill. Perhaps you should be looking at a 750W unit instead, which is definitely enough for a single card, and probably enough for dual card configs as long as they are not too high end. Should also ask whether or not your setup has a lot of other peripherals/drives/components that will be needing extra power.

Both Corsair and Seasonic have very good power supplies, the Seasonic X Series Gold/Platinum are some of the best reviewed power supplies out there. Modular cabling can be a big benefit of the higher end units as compared to the GS, which I find much more convenient and a lot neater too. Noticed you didn't mention the RM series, seems like a good lower cost alternative to the AX/HX which is also very efficient. Personally, if the price difference between the AX and the HX is small, I'd go for the AX if you want the best Power supply out there, else I'd go for the RM with a better GPU.

No RM series PSU selling in my country,and any config will still land me with a 7790 max as the6XXW, 7XXW and the 8XXW w only differs by a few(less than 10 between the 6XX and 8XX) dollars,so i see no point in 6XXW/7XXW for me in this senario.Any option still result in me getting a 7790 max.Which is a low end card.

Maybe in the future i will cfx/sli 780/290X instead then.But is 850W enough?also which PSU i mentioned is capable of doing that?Or is a 1050/1200W one necessary?I an planning to get a 6670 in all situations so that money is saved and when i upgrade that card can be thrown into an i3 HTPC.Which have a fsp hexa 500W incapable of running most graphics cards.

Rampage IV Black Edition or Extreme(need 8 dimms,and high end vrm,will run from dawn to dusk everyday and even 24/7 during june/november and december)

hyper 212X

840 (vanilla) 120GB SSD

No case-will drill holes(no standoff,just countersink screw into the plugs,loose of course,will not cut PCB) on a concrete wall to mount the parts directly and separately onto the wall.

RM series are the best IMO.

Sorry,not an option for me.I like it a lot for its stylish looks but not sold in my country.The GS series i mentioned is not in the stylish manner btw,it is the one with a lot of horizontal lines on top of fans kind.At least that looks nicer than the traditional looking GS series which have the standard fan cover that uses 4 screws to be secured to the PSU case.

hyper 212X

840 (vanilla) 120GB SSD

850W should be sufficient for 2 way SLI/CFX unless you are doing really extreme overclocks, so it's definitely enough. The problem with getting a PSU with way too much wattage is you do sacrifice efficiency, and this can add up if electricity is expensive and you are running the system 24/7.

If you cannot afford to wait for the RM Series, I would go for the AX850 then. The wattage that PSUs use is the output wattage, not the wattage from the wall, so all the Corsair/Seasonic PSU should be able to handle it. The GS series does not have modular cabling, so you will end up with a lot of excess cabling that is messy and just not worth it in my opinion.

The 7790 just doesn't match up well with the rest of the system in my opinion, you really want something higher end if you want to be doing gaming. If you are 100% sure you can upgrade soon, I suggest you get the 6670 first, live without real gaming for a while, and then move the 6670 to your HTPC and get a proper high end GPU. The 7790 may be usable for now, but it's not good enough for decent gaming, and it's probably a bit too expensive to buy it just for an HTPC.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

The main problem with 7790 is the HTPC PSU cannot handle it lol.

Anyways this is not a gaming computer(i dont do gaming at all),it will be used as a Active Directory server running 2012 essentials.I will also do some VMware Stuff there.The GPU is strictly only for video output,folding@home and probably some GPU acceleration on some programs like video editing.Although i rarely do video editing.over 70% of the time it is running headless with the GPU in it.

I cannot buy a Xeon E5 and a C602/C602J/C604 server motherboard or C606/x79 workstation motherboard as they are either unavailable or ridiculously expensive. So the next best 'budget' alternative is the ROG boards.

Anyways with a hyper 212x i cannot overclock much or anything at all,just want it to run cool.

I went to see the RM series of power supply in corsair's website,and it claims the fan does not spin under light load.Is there any harm on the components doing so?Because if that is the case i might wait for it.Also if it is the same price as HX or AX is it still worth it?coz new products means more expensive normally in the shops.

The main problem with 7790 is the HTPC PSU cannot handle it lol.

Anyways this is not a gaming computer(i dont do gaming at all),it will be used as a Active Directory server running 2012 essentials.I will also do some VMware Stuff there.The GPU is strictly only for video output,folding@home and probably some GPU acceleration on some programs like video editing.Although i rarely do video editing.over 70% of the time it is running headless with the GPU in it.

I cannot buy a Xeon E5 and a C602/C602J/C604 server motherboard or C606/x79 workstation motherboard as they are either unavailable or ridiculously expensive. So the next best 'budget' alternative is the ROG boards.

Anyways with a hyper 212x i cannot overclock much or anything at all,just want it to run cool.

I went to see the RM series of power supply in corsair's website,and it claims the fan does not spin under light load.Is there any harm on the components doing so?Because if that is the case i might wait for it.Also if it is the same price as HX or AX is it still worth it?coz new products means more expensive normally in the shops.

If you really don't need to game then see if you can get away with the 6670, move to a much higher end one later if you want the added folding@home and video editing power.

Hybrid power supplies(fan is off at low power) are getting more common. They are supposed to be efficient enough that they can be cooled passively, so it'll be fine. I've heard stories that the RM series doesn't turn on the fan till quite high power, so if that worries you, may want to think of something else. I would say it is only worth it if it is cheaper, because the AX is supposed to be higher end so would be my first choice if price was no issue.