Choosing a Mechanical Switch

Osangar
Go to solution Solved by AresKrieger,

MX blues are generally considered the best for typing since you can feel when the key is activated but they are loud since they have an audible click

MX reds are often considered too sensitive by most people for typing (including myself) but are often used for games

MX Browns are like reds and blues combined, not loud and a bit sensitive like reds but give you touch feedback

Blacks are essentially reds that aren't sensitive (they require a quite a bit of force by comparison)

Clears are more like a membrane key than other mechanical keys since they need to be pushed down further than most

And I had to look up what mx greens were but this is what I found

The Cherry MX Green is a stiffer version of the Cherry MX Blue, meant for space bar usage.

I'm looking for a good mechanical keyboard, but I'm not sure what to get.

I've heard about Cherry MX Brown, Blue, Red, Black, Clear, and Green.

Also looking at Romer-G and Topre.

Could I get a good explanation of the main differences?

It's all a bit overwhelming and confusing for me.

I do a lot of gaming and typing, and I've had Cherry MX Brown recommended to me, but I want to know if there's a better alternative.

Thanks in advance for any replies. 

Blues: tactile feedback, clicky (loud, very satisfying for typing) 

Browns: blues with no loud click

reds: quiet, short press, ideal for competitive gaming

The other MXs ones aren't very popular at all. Those are the three main switches. Personally im using razer clickly keys which are pretty much blues, however with my current knowledge I would go with browns. My friends keyboards with browns are very nice. Also keep in mind although reds are regarded as the "best" for gaming, that by no means makes browns or blues bad for it.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

MX blues are generally considered the best for typing since you can feel when the key is activated but they are loud since they have an audible click

MX reds are often considered too sensitive by most people for typing (including myself) but are often used for games

MX Browns are like reds and blues combined, not loud and a bit sensitive like reds but give you touch feedback

Blacks are essentially reds that aren't sensitive (they require a quite a bit of force by comparison)

Clears are more like a membrane key than other mechanical keys since they need to be pushed down further than most

And I had to look up what mx greens were but this is what I found

The Cherry MX Green is a stiffer version of the Cherry MX Blue, meant for space bar usage.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful