PS4 Broken?

MrMcMulen

So i have a netgear nighthawk R700 (Running stock netgear software), bridged to the default telstra modem/router combo, i have the telstra combo set to modem only, and the R7000 handles everything else, this set has worked for me flawless for a very long time, and recently i have run into a rather strange issue, where whenever my brother has his PS4 on, not even signed in or doing anything, just being on, cripples my network, my speeds drop from 110+mbps down to about 10-3mbps, and my ping on speedtest.net goes from 9 to about 300+, it makes various online games unplayable (Cod, dota, starcraft). so i start troubleshooting, first i switched his ps4 off from the wifi to a ethernet cable, this switch made 0 change, still cripples my network. i checked for ip conflicts within the router ui. i tried wiping the hard-drive and reinstalling the ps4 os, the full 900mb download off the play station website. with the new os installed on the ps4, it still crippled the network, but to a lesser degree than before????? so i decided to try and set up some QoS rules within the router, i quickly found that his play station was completely ignoring any settings that i setup, whilst every other device on the network confiding within the setting that i set. so some more investigating online let me to a custom software for the router, DDWRT, i flashed and set up the new os to the router, and the ps4 still crippled the network, so i tried again to setup up some QoS, this time with the new custom software allows me to set specific usage limit for specific devices (either ip or mac address) i set the ps4 to draw no more than 10mbps of the available 110ish.. Finally some results, the ps4 sometimes ignored all QoS and got about 60ishmbps and other times it got 10mbps on the dot, no more no less. so some further research i learned that the common consensus was that tomato handles QoS better than DDWRT, so i moved on, flashed tomato onto it re setup my network for the third time, Set some QoS settings, and found again that sometimes it ignored the QoS settings and completely crippled the network and other times it sat within the limits i set, and i could even play online games, no hassle. so now i am out of things to do, it seems my brothers ps4, just does whatever the hell it wants. so i am open to suggestions at this point, because i am out of ideas.
so if anyone has even had a similar experience or any other ideas on what i should do, let me know
one quick thing aswell, it doesnt matter how many people are on the network, or even what they are doing(downloading, streaming, whatever), aslong as his ps4 is off the network is perfect

Didn't read all of it, but try opening a port on the router? that might fix it

edit: oh I see you tried that...

do you have remote play enabled? if so try to disable it

doubt it's your bandwidth, but I read the PS4 can really hog bandwidth. I've never had the issue but apparently others have

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

I have same setup and but i have Teltra router plugged into the Nighthawk and i get 890mbps and when the PS4 is in it goes down to 76-110mbps so idk but i have the same issue?

well if it's bandwidth it doesn't matter how fast the connection is. Linus might help

you guys may need a package with more bandwidth... BUT I'm not saying that is the problem, it just might be.

If you guys can try another router? maybe it's the router?

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

23 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

Didn't read all of it, but try opening a port on the router? that might fix it

edit: oh I see you tried that...

do you have remote play enabled? if so try to disable it

doubt it's your bandwidth, but I read the PS4 can really hog bandwidth. I've never had the issue but apparently others have

yeah i highly doubt its my bandwidth as well, idk i will check, and its only his, mine and the one i bought for the lounge room (netflix and stuff) interact fine with the network

1 minute ago, HrutkayMods said:

well if it's bandwidth it doesn't matter how fast the connection is. Linus might help

you guys may need a package with more bandwidth... BUT I'm not saying that is the problem, it just might be.

idk i doubt it because with my ps4 being the only device connected to the network it still only uses about 40% max

it can also be the location it is sitting possibly, try moving them into the lounge room or the one out of the lounge room and see if you get the same result. If anything it might be a PS4 hardware revision issue? not too sure

2 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

well 100mb is the most you can get in australia atm, and even then its really expensive, $130 au for 100/10 with 1tb a month on telstra

it can also be the location it is sitting possibly, try moving them into the lounge room or the one out of the lounge room and see if you get the same result. If anything it might be a PS4 hardware revision issue? not too sure

i tried all the tests with wifi, than with an ethernet and it made 0 difference

3 minutes ago, MrMcMulen said:

well 100mb is the most you can get in australia atm, and even then its really expensive, $130 au for 100/10 with 1tb a month on telstra

wow, I have a lot of international friends that share your pain, sorry to hear that :/

2 minutes ago, MrMcMulen said:

i tried all the tests with wifi, than with an ethernet and it made 0 difference

it just might be a ps4 hardware revision issue with your router then? is any of them newer or older?

well i tried taking it over to my uncles, he has the same net plan but with a R8000 and he had the same issue, so it has to be the specific ps4 and either how it is interacting with the routers, or whether something is physically wrong with it (wifi card maybe?)

Sounds like bad QOS to me. Set your QOS settings to put him at the lowest priority. If you had an edgerouter, you could use fq_codel and fix all your issues.

My native language is C++

Just now, HrutkayMods said:

wow, I have a lot of international friends that share your pain, sorry to hear that :/

it just might be a hardware revision issue with your router then? is any of them newer or older?

yeah and its not like nbn is doing anything for us atm anyway, i know people who have switched to nbn and now there internet is worse than when they where on cable... yes my ps4 was purchased at launch, his was purchased toward the end of the touch button cycle, and the lounge room one is one of the newer versions where they replaced the touch buttons for physical buttons

Just now, tt2468 said:

Sounds like bad QOS to me. Set your QOS settings to put him at the lowest priority. If you had an edgerouter, you could use fq_codel and fix all your issues.

i have tried that, i have tried multiple QoS types and prioritise, HTB HSFC, Sfq, codel and fq_codel, it either works for a little bit or completely ignores all of them, for stock netgear, ddwrt and tomato, i even tried limiting how much his console can have and it completely ignored it, whilst every other device on the network was confiding to the limits i set

4 minutes ago, MrMcMulen said:

yeah and its not like nbn is doing anything for us atm anyway, i know people who have switched to nbn and now there internet is worse than when they where on cable... yes my ps4 was purchased at launch, his was purchased toward the end of the touch button cycle, and the lounge room one is one of the newer versions where they replaced the touch buttons for physical buttons

the new non-touch button ones are a lot more efficient and refined, and I believe use a different wifi chip, it might be the touch button wifi chip sucking the bandwidth from the router maybe?

when you tested the eithernet are you sure the wifi was completely disabled? I'm honestly running out of possibles here lol

Just now, HrutkayMods said:

the new non-touch button ones are a lot more efficient and refined, and I believe use a different wifi chip, it might be the touch button wifi chip sucking the bandwidth form the router maybe?

when you tested the eithernet are you sure the wifi was completely disabled? I'm honestly running out of possibles here lol

well i had the wifi turned off on the router so yeah

3 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

the new non-touch button ones are a lot more efficient and refined, and I believe use a different wifi chip, it might be the touch button wifi chip sucking the bandwidth from the router maybe?

it think maybe it has had a firmware issue on the chip (corruption maybe?) im considering just trading the console in, and letting him use the one in the lounge room as his own

well I meant on the PS4, it might be causing network strain even with the router WiFi off. If remote play is enabled, any thing could be connecting to it though there, like I said if it's enabled, see what happens when you turn remote play off

1 minute ago, MrMcMulen said:

it think maybe it has had a firmware issue on the chip (corruption maybe?) im considering just trading the console in, and letting him use the one in the lounge room as his own

I guess anything's possible? it might be. I'd wait before trading it in until the new 4K one comes out btw lol

3 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

well I meant on the PS4, it might be causing network strain even with the router WiFi off. If remote play is enabled, any thing could be connecting to it though there, like I said if it's enabled, see what happens when you turn remote play off

alright remote play is off, i will get back to you with results shortly

I guess anything's possible? it might be. I'd wait before trading it in until the new 4K one comes out btw lol

well like it has to be the ps4, its the only constant variable throughout all the tests, whether it be a power out or something could of intentionally damaged the chip in some way

Just now, MrMcMulen said:

well like it has to be the ps4, its the only constant variable throughout all the tests, whether it be a power out or something could of intentionally damaged the chip in some way

yeah I think I agree, must be something not right in the console itself. Good luck and like I said wait for the 4K one :P

19 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

yeah I think I agree, must be something not right in the console itself. Good luck and like I said wait for the 4K one :P

Or just buy a PC

Just now, tt2468 said:

Or just buy a PC

yeah or that lol... but sometimes it's still fun to console game

yeah or that lol... but sometimes it's still fun to console game

pc+steamlink+360 controller???