New computer randomly shut down

TraustiG

I just built a new computer around 3 weeks ago and yesterday while playing WoW it randomly shut down, the lights were still on though. I turned the computer back on and managed to check temps, the cpu was around 57°C which is way higher than it has been and the gpu was at 60°C, and then the computer shut down again. I reckoned it was overheating and decided to deal with it this morning so I went to sleep, when I woke up I turned the computer on, everything was fine, checked my temps and cpu was around 35°C and gpu at 60°C which I'm pretty sure is normal for the r9 380? Are there any other reasons this could be happening though? What should I do?

cpu i7 6700k, not overclocked

cpu cooler corsair h100i v2

gpu r9 380

What wattage is your power supply? your gpu could be thermal throttling which requires more power from the psu.

Don't think it would be overheating, those temp seam are not high enough, but I suggest checking when your in game or running a stress test.

That being said, it might be worth reapplying some thermal compound to rule that out.

Corsair rm650x psu, ye I figured those temps wouldn't be too high, I used the pre applied TIM on the h100i, could that honestly be a problem? I was about to apply some MX4 when I figured I'd check here first before going through the hassle

your psu isn't the problem then, thats more than enough power to power the card even when it thermal throttles at max

2 minutes ago, TraustiG said:

I just built a new computer around 3 weeks ago and yesterday while playing WoW it randomly shut down, the lights were still on though. I turned the computer back on and managed to check temps, the cpu was around 57°C which is way higher than it has been and the gpu was at 60°C, and then the computer shut down again. I reckoned it was overheating and decided to deal with it this morning so I went to sleep, when I woke up I turned the computer on, everything was fine, checked my temps and cpu was around 35°C and gpu at 60°C which I'm pretty sure is normal for the r9 380? Are there any other reasons this could be happening though? What should I do?

gpu r9 380

57 and 60 C  are by no means too high for a system that's under load, so I don't think the PC is shutting itself off because of heat or thermal throttling. I guess if it was that warm when you turned it back on and it was idling, I would check cooling.

Pull up a good temperature monitoring software (I dunno, something like Speccy should be okay) and run a benchmark with something like AIDA64 and see how hot the CPU gets, and if it shuts down under a stress test like that.

Make sure your H100 is all properly connected and that the radiator fans are spinning, the pump/block combo is getting power from that adapter that goes to SATA power, etc.

If your CPU turns out not to be the culprit, then you could stress test your GPU with some kind of a benchmark/etc. program and monitor temps.

Display drivers are also something to look at. Maybe uninstall them with DDU and re-install the latest stable version.

Does the PC blue screen or anything when it shuts off, or does it cut out?

These are just things to check.

Give us the spec of your whole PC(motherboard, ram, etc) so we can help you better. Did you update bios & updated your drivers/ windows?

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

The screen just goes to black as if the computer wasn't on, yet the lights are still on the computer.

Specs:

mb  Asus z170a

cpu i7 6700k not overclocked

gpu r9 380

cpu cooler h100i v2

psu corsair rm650x

ram 32gb hyperx fury 2400mhz on XMP

3 samsung 850 evo ssd

1tb hdd

Fan configuration 3x120mm intake at front, 1x120mm exhaust at rear, 2x120mm exhaust on the h100i,

I'm thinking if I would try to stresstest the computer would just turn off, since I haven't been able to keep it on for longer than 5minutes without really doing anything.

Another note! When I built the computer I took off the chipset heatsink and painted it. I had intended to reapply thermal paste to it, but it turned out to have a thermal pad instead, so I just left that on there. Could that be a problem? Should I remove the pad and apply paste instead?

1 hour ago, TraustiG said:

gpu r9 380

use DDU. To get rid of all the drivers. Install amd 15.11.1 drivers. And install clockblocker Then run wow for a bit and tell me if it happens again :D

• CPU: AMD athlon  860k
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A58M-HD2
  • RAM:2x4gb HyperX Fury
  • GPU: XFX R9 380 4gb
  • Case: NXZT S340
  • PSU: EVGA 650G
  • Display: BenQ GL2460HM
  • Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo
  • Keyboard: Corsair k60 
  • Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 (white
  • Sound Logitech g430
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

•  

Try that, that could work but my friend had the same issue, he bought a new systems but used the same storage drives with windows on and all his files and the same thing happened so he wiped all the drives and reinstalled windows and boom it worked again so maybe wiping all our drives and reinstalling windows? I know this would mean you losing everything but it might get your computer working again.

I reinstalled windows when I built the computer, the only drive I didn't wipe was the hdd which has all my files on it, not really comfortable with doing that. I'll try reinstalling the drivers.

Another thing you can do is keep only 8GB of ram running(this worked for me) and or run your computer using only your integrated graphics on your CPU. This will help isolate the problem.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

Tried turning it on again, I can basically open Chrome and then it shuts down.

Tried running with just 1 stick of ram, with 2 seperate sticks. Did not work. Also tried the integrated graphics which didn't work either. I'm reapplying thermal paste to the cpu right now.

Reapplying paste did not work, when I turn the computer on now it doesn't fully turn on, the h100i fans are spinning but the other fans in the case are not. 

Are you able to get into bios? If so can you go into safe mode? Does it work with bare bones components only? Try completely powering off the computer(PSU power switch)  and try again.You can also try resetting the motherboard by either removing the CMOS battery or pressing the hard reset switch.

Spoiler

Also make sure that the ram is in the proper dim channel, and make sure that only the boot SSD or HDD is connected.

Spoiler

The computer doesn't start at all now, only the h100i fans spin, no motherboard leds light up except for the green power one.

Could this be the psu or motherboard failing?

1 minute ago, TraustiG said:

Could this be the psu or motherboard failing?

This is what I thought, do you have a spare psu to try?

Yeah, pulling it out of my old computer right now. Going to take some time

20 minutes ago, TraustiG said:

Yeah, pulling it out of my old computer right now. Going to take some time

Keep us updated on what happens. I wanna know what the is!!

Well I feel stupid as hell right now. I pulled the psu out of my old computer, which was ridiculously difficult. When I go to take out the motherboard and cpu cables on the new computer I feel the cpu cable not completely plugged in... Well thanks for all the help guys, I'm sorry for wasting your time hah.

To my defense the cpu cable is covered completely by the h100i so I really had to go for it to notice it not being completely plugged in.

Does the pc turn on fully and works 100%??