Where to start when picking parts

was wondering where the best place to start is when picking parts and where to go from there.

thanks

5 minutes ago, Oskar Mcfarlane said:

was wondering where the best place to start is when picking parts and where to go from there.

thanks

1. CPU
  2. Motherboard
  3. RAM
  4. GPU
  5. Storage
  6. CPU Cooler (if applicable)
  7. PSU
  8. Case

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

11 minutes ago, another random person said:
  1. CPU
  2. Motherboard
  3. RAM
  4. GPU
  5. Storage
  6. CPU Cooler (if applicable)
  7. PSU
  8. Case

could you start with the motherboard

31 minutes ago, Oskar Mcfarlane said:

thanks

First of all, decide what you're going to use the computer for. Then decide what the budget is.

If the budget is low, say up to 500$ you may not be able to get a case that looks awesome, but you'll have to look into a case that is practical. There are cases in the $50 range that will do the job but don't look a million bucks. Generally those fit the ATX or micro ATX motherboards. Choose a case you like, but generally don't spend more than 10% of your total budget on one.

Choosing a motherboard is dependent on your choice of CPU, as many CPU models come with a different socket, such as the 1151 socket for Skylake. You choose these together, based on the ports on the motherboard you think you need and the processing power you want. It is not strange to allocate 30 to 50% of your budget to a motherboard/CPU combination, depending on the application of your build.

RAM is dependent on your motherboard. Generally speaking, anything recent from the Intel side (that supports Skylake CPUs) wants DDR4. Older stuff might only fit DDR3. Check the specs of your chosen motherboard to be sure. Don't blow the budget on this. Up to 75$ for 8GB and up to 150$ for 16GB seems to be good right now.

Graphics card is next. If you're only going to play minesweeper, skip it altogether and just use the integrated graphics of the CPU. For more serious gaming, the latest deliveries from AMD and nVidia will serve you well. It's not strange to spend up to 50% of your budget on one, if you're going to play serious games.

Now that you know the power hungry parts of your PC, look into a good PSU. Don't get a no name unit. Aim for a 80+ Gold unit from a reputable brand, it will save your bacon in the long run. Spending upwards of 70$ is not strange.

CPU coolers are only necessary if you're going to play games, render things, or do other intensive tasks with your CPU. If your only aim is to play Minecraft and use Microsoft Word all day, don't bother. Otherwise, good air cooling units will set you back 40 to 80$ and all in one liquid coolers will be double that.

Storage should not be forgotten and these days an SSD is becoming standard, at least for your OS and programs. Either get an SSD that's big enough, or add a secondary drive for bigger storage. Good 1TB hard disks are generally about 40$, good 240/250GB SSDs will set you back 80-90$.

For easy building, use http://pcpartpicker.com as it will roughly tell you the wattage consumption of the parts you chose, making choosing a PSU easier. Also it has a compatibility filtering system, so that you can only choose parts that will fit. It's not strange to choose the parts you want and end up going 50% over the budget. That's why PCpartpicker is easy, you can just replace an item with a lower priced one but with good enough specs so that you end up within budget.

If you want us to show you an example, tell us your all in budget, whether that includes monitor keyboard mouse headset etc and your main intended computer use.

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

30 minutes ago, Xineas said:

First of all, decide what you're going to use the computer for. Then decide what the budget is.

If the budget is low, say up to 500$ you may not be able to get a case that looks awesome, but you'll have to look into a case that is practical. There are cases in the $50 range that will do the job but don't look a million bucks. Generally those fit the ATX or micro ATX motherboards. Choose a case you like, but generally don't spend more than 10% of your total budget on one.

Choosing a motherboard is dependent on your choice of CPU, as many CPU models come with a different socket, such as the 1151 socket for Skylake. You choose these together, based on the ports on the motherboard you think you need and the processing power you want. It is not strange to allocate 30 to 50% of your budget to a motherboard/CPU combination, depending on the application of your build.

RAM is dependent on your motherboard. Generally speaking, anything recent from the Intel side (that supports Skylake CPUs) wants DDR4. Older stuff might only fit DDR3. Check the specs of your chosen motherboard to be sure. Don't blow the budget on this. Up to 75$ for 8GB and up to 150$ for 16GB seems to be good right now.

Graphics card is next. If you're only going to play minesweeper, skip it altogether and just use the integrated graphics of the CPU. For more serious gaming, the latest deliveries from AMD and nVidia will serve you well. It's not strange to spend up to 50% of your budget on one, if you're going to play serious games.

Now that you know the power hungry parts of your PC, look into a good PSU. Don't get a no name unit. Aim for a 80+ Gold unit from a reputable brand, it will save your bacon in the long run. Spending upwards of 70$ is not strange.

CPU coolers are only necessary if you're going to play games, render things, or do other intensive tasks with your CPU. If your only aim is to play Minecraft and use Microsoft Word all day, don't bother. Otherwise, good air cooling units will set you back 40 to 80$ and all in one liquid coolers will be double that.

Storage should not be forgotten and these days an SSD is becoming standard, at least for your OS and programs. Either get an SSD that's big enough, or add a secondary drive for bigger storage. Good 1TB hard disks are generally about 40$, good 240/250GB SSDs will set you back 80-90$.

For easy building, use http://pcpartpicker.com as it will roughly tell you the wattage consumption of the parts you chose, making choosing a PSU easier. Also it has a compatibility filtering system, so that you can only choose parts that will fit. It's not strange to choose the parts you want and end up going 50% over the budget. That's why PCpartpicker is easy, you can just replace an item with a lower priced one but with good enough specs so that you end up within budget.

If you want us to show you an example, tell us your all in budget, whether that includes monitor keyboard mouse headset etc and your main intended computer use.

this is really helpfull 

i was wanting to play the newer games like No Mans Sky with a budget of $1000 aud

56 minutes ago, Oskar Mcfarlane said:

this is really helpfull 

i was wanting to play the newer games like No Mans Sky with a budget of $1000 aud

NMSky is generated as you go, so relies on the CPU quite a bit while still demanding a high end graphics card as well. Damn that AU$ pricing though. Not too happy with the PSU, should be higher wattage or better quality.

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/gyrt8K

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($274.00 @ Centre Com) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 412 Slim 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($49.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($119.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($57.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card  ($333.00 @ CPL Online) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($75.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.00 @ CPL Online) 

Total: $1053.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-14 21:46 AEST+1000

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

1 minute ago, Xineas said:

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.00 @ CPL Online) 

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/DbqdnQ/corsair-power-supply-cs550m 

This is actually a safer choice, but is an extra 50$AU.

1 minute ago, Oskar Mcfarlane said:

Also does a mini motherboard do anything different 

Just less slots for ram/pcie lanes/sata ports mostly.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

Just now, Oskar Mcfarlane said:

Also does a mini motherboard do anything different 

There's ATX, which is the biggest. Then you have micro ATX, which is smaller and mini-ITX, which is very small. All have their application and it depends on the case you pick which one you use. Tiny portable builds usually have mini-ITX boards because they have such a small footprint. As far as function, no, they all do the same. They just have different amounts of connections and expansion slots. The price generally shows what kind of quality you're getting, to a certain extent. $150-200 boards are simply better and have more features than 50$ boards.

1 minute ago, Xineas said:

There's ATX, which is the biggest. Then you have micro ATX, which is smaller and mini-ITX, which is very small. All have their application and it depends on the case you pick which one you use. Tiny portable builds usually have mini-ITX boards because they have such a small footprint. As far as function, no, they all do the same. They just have different amounts of connections and expansion slots. The price generally shows what kind of quality you're getting, to a certain extent. $150-200 boards are simply better and have more features than 50$ boards.

so for an enthoo evolve i will need an atx bored

so for an enthoo evolve i will need an atx bored

If you get the Enthoo Evolv ATX, then it would be best to get an ATX motherboard as well.

There is also the Enthoo Evolv ITX, which takes the tiny boards only.

4 minutes ago, Xineas said:

If you get the Enthoo Evolv ATX, then it would be best to get an ATX motherboard as well.

There is also the Enthoo Evolv ITX, which takes the tiny boards only.

do you know an atx bored that would be good

6 minutes ago, Oskar Mcfarlane said:

do you know an atx bored that would be good

Can't really go wrong for general use. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#xcx=0&f=2&L=4&s=30&sort=a8&page=1

The site shows ratings as well, those with many 4-5 star ratings are generally good value.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($275.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($48.99 @ Mwave Australia) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($65.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($97.99 @ Mwave Australia) 
Total: $997.98

You need $1200-1300 budget if you want the Evolve ATX case and an ATX mobo without changing the cpu and gpu. That extra $200 I'd rather spend on core components.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

3 minutes ago, antisleep said:

PCPartPicker part list

Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($48.99 @ Mwave Australia) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($65.00 @ CPL Online) 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($97.99 @ Mwave Australia) 
Total: $997.98

You need $1200-1300 budget if you want the Evolve ATX case and an ATX mobo without changing the cpu and gpu. That extra $200 I'd rather spend on core components.

yeha its just that i might be getting the case for a present so i wont have to pay for that 

yeha its just that i might be getting the case for a present so i wont have to pay for that 

So it's a $1000 build without a case then?

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock B150 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($59.00 @ CPL Online) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $994.00