A quick search for a way to trade Bitcoins into cash IRL and vice versa (aka an ATM) led me to a few interesting results:

Robocoin ($20,000 still on pre-order)

Lamassu ($5,000 still on pre-order [until at least 2014])

Cash2BTC ($420, already released [since summer 2013])

These were the 3 companies that came up, and seeing the enormous difference in pricing, I decided to make a chart to decide which product is the best:

aoeu.png

*The Cash2BTC can be bought in a DIY package, so the size will vary depending on how you assemble it (assuming, of course, you purchased the DIY).

The reason I've decided to compare these 3 ATMs is simply because I've heard of the RoboCoin, but, like you, completely ignored it because of the 20k price tag.

So what do you think; will Bitcoin become a viable and widely-accepted currency to use IRL? (I don't know about you, but it would be pretty hilarious to tip waiters in BitCoin!)

If Bitcoin were to become widely-accepted, it would mean not having to convert currencies when traveling internationally- just pay with Bitcoin!

Dat broken code

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Not enough algebra, needs more algebra.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Yeah, sorry about that, lol. Most forums I use just let you post HTML.

Fixed

One thing to keep in mind with these, while they are interesting and will help promote the currency by having them in various locations... They are not ATM's nor are they centralized/pushed out by companies. they are closer to vending machines and/or kiosks. They can be purchased by anyone at anytime.

It's up to the owner to set the prices and keep it stocked in both cash and bitcoins. Expect these to have low cash out and a high buy in. Example would be the current average exchange rate is $131. If you wanted to buy bitcoins it would likely be at about a 7% markup to $140 per bitcoin. To sell bitcoins using the kiosk would be done at less than the average price by once again around 7% down to $121. This will be done to keep margins and make them profitable.

Average price taken from https://bitcoinaverage.com/#USD

There's a few Robocoin kiosks coming to Vancouver this month. http://www.bitcoiniacs.com/

Personally I prefer to deal with reputable exchanges and transferring funds around that way.

If you don't trust exchanges and want to remain doing business by cash, finding a local bitcoin vendor can be done fairly easily using https://localbitcoins.com/ you will pay a bit of a premium similar with the atm/kiosks/vending machins. But that premium may be less or negotiable based on building a trusting relationship with the person over time.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.