Time for an upgrade

Hey guys, and girls obviously

I am planning to upgrade my desktop pc, but i am not really sure what to buy. On the one hand i would like to get a new monitor, i thought of the Samsung S34E790C. But if i would get one of those, i would certainly need a new graphics card. 

So for that i thought about getting either a 1070 or a 1080, but on the other hand i don't wanna spend so much money on these things. 

The other question i am asking myself is about my CPU, currently a 4670K@4.2 GHz, because i am not sure if it would bottleneck the new graphicscard...

I need help, please give me your thoughts on my dilemma, i will read all answers and consider all possible solutions.

Your CPU should be fine for a few more years to come. You can bottleneck ANY cpu if you run a very CPU intensive game at 1080 with a monster GPU.

What I always recommend is to always buy the best that you can afford at the moment, unless you don't mind waiting for the next big thing to come out.

PS Welcome to the forums.

When in doubt, re-format.

especially at higher res the bottlenecking is less of an issue than people make it out to be. the GTX1060 (or RX480 at that note) should be taken into consideration as well if you're not about to splurge major dough at a GPU :P

(then again, if you're gonna spend that much on a monitor...)

Well that sounds good since the new monitor has a resolution of 3440x1440. But i am not sure if the i should go for the 1070 or the 1080, furthermore because they are currently on massdrop..

Thank you :D

to: pwn_intended

Yeah well the big advange with going with the 1080 and the new monitor would be that i will be safe for a few years and i won't have to upgrade my pc so soon..

If you can justify spending that money on a GPU, then go for the 1080 and don't look back. A 1070 should still be able to max out, or nearly max out that monitor with most current games, but you can expect future AAA (year or so down the road) titles to require a bit more horsepower for maxing and you'll have to lower some settings accordingly.

When in doubt, re-format.

From what I can tell, the 1070 seems to play max out (or nearly max out) games at 2560x1440. Driving games at 3440x1440 would require more GPU power, so a 1080 would make more sense if you wanted to play AAA titles. These graphs come from: http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-a-look-at-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/

They have more ultrawide benchmarks. These are the games that (I think) most people care about at the moment. For reference, a 1070 reaches titan x levels when overclocked.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-DOOM-3440x1440.p

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Grand-Theft-Auto

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-The-Witcher-3-Wi

If you get the monitor, go for the 1080 to get the best experience on 4K. Your 4790k is more than enough, and still a very good processor and shouldn't bottleneck the GPU.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Well, sounds like i should get the 1080 and new monitor combo, thanks for the advice guys, really helps me a lot :D

Guess i will have to take a weekend, install the new GPU than and maybe do a fresh reinstall of windows 10, because it seems it is that time again..