laptop keyboard cable replacement

McCloud

So I was opening up and cleaning my HP Probook 470 for the first time.. and kind of messed up during removing of the keyboard.

Like the black part, holding the contacts in place is snapped off. 

Is it possible (and wise) to stick it back, or is replacing the keyboard my only option ?

You broke the plastic part that hold the pins in position? If Yes, you can live without. Push them all the way in, and then secure with some tape.

3 hours ago, McCloud said:

Like the black part, holding the contacts in place is snapped off. 

Is it possible (and wise) to stick it back, or is replacing the keyboard my only option ?

You can, as has been suggested, just stick the cable back into place and secure it with tape. The black retainer usually provides some force to keep the cable in contact with the connector, so basically wedge the broken retainer back into place and either use tape or hot-glue while keeping the retainer in position. (Be careful if you use hot-glue - the heat could damage the cable if you get any glue on it.)

(If you've lost the retainer, use a piece of paper or thin plastic as a wedge.)

As far as replacing the keyboard goes, it depends upon whether the broken part is part of the keyboard or part of the mainboard. If it's on the mainboard end, replacing the entire laptop may be cheaper than getting it repaired. (But check around, you may be able to just get a replacement retainer.)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

thank you. 

Ye, that's what I realized.. the socket is on the mb itself. Will try to look at it again with a friend and glue it back to place. 

It's very small however, not sure how it goes.. 

well, at least the notebook isn't overheating anymore  ^^

Generally speaking, the exposed contacts on the end of the cable will lie against the motherboard. Also, generally speaking, the cable will not have any "twist" when sitting normally.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD