Should I build new or Upgrade old.

Hi, I was wondering if I should build an entire new pc or just upgrade old parts and I want to know your opinion. Please note I have 4 monitors but I only game on one and multitask on the others. My budget is 400-500$. I mostly play Arma 3 and GTA V.

Here is my current build (yes, I know its not great)

E5-2689 v1

Firepro W5100 and W5000

Standard HP Z620 MOBO

1 TB HDD

16GB DDR3

Please also note I have a extra 1.5tb 7200rpm HDD laying around with a fresh install of windows, and I have both DDR3 and 4 lying around.

If you think I should upgrade please tell me what parts and If you think I should build What kind of build should I get

You sure that's the correct version number off that Xeon, for some reason I can't find it in intel's ark.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I'd pretty much just upgrade the graphics card, I believe that xeon is still pretty great! If your budget is $400-$500 you could pick up a GTX 1070 and have around $80 left.

Though, I don't know much about that specific xeon.

Just make sure the motherboard has a pcie 16x 3.0 lane

Diamond 5 in League :)

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

You sure that's the correct version number off that Xeon, for some reason I can't find it in intel's ark.

Its kind of weird the computer reads it as e5-2689 and it says that on the cpu itself but the closest I can find on intel ark is this

http://ark.intel.com/products/64583/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2680-20M-Cache-2_70-GHz-8_00-GTs-Intel-QPI

If u look up e5-2689 on eBay its there too

1 minute ago, Shd0w2 said:

I'd pretty much just upgrade the graphics card, I believe that xeon is still pretty great! If your budget is $400-$500 you could pick up a GTX 1070 and have around $80 left.

Just make sure the motherboard has a pcie 16x 3.0 lane

ofcouse! thanks for responding

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Looks like it's an 8 core Xeon with HT.

Well you can get a 1070 or 1060 if you just game at 1080 now and if you face any bottlenecks with the CPU (not entirely sure if you well, probably not) get something like a 3770K or just jump to a new board and CPU.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Well you can get a 1070 or 1060 if you just game at 1080 now and if you face any bottlenecks with the CPU (not entirely sure if you well, probably not) get something like a 3770K or just jump to a new board and CPU.

What would benefit me more 3770 rx 480 or just a new gtx 1070

5 minutes ago, cantthinkofaname said:

What would benefit me more 3770 rx 480 or just a new gtx 1070

New 1070. Not sure how you got that Xeon, but it was a top of the line Xeon and still performs really well.

Just now, Shd0w2 said:

New 1070. Not sure how you got that Xeon, but it was a top of the line Xeon and still performs really well.

ok, I got it because my dad owns a server/worksstation stuff and he had no use for it and sells them for cheap. And no, He doesn't sell old parts, thats pretty much the only reason I got this

3 minutes ago, cantthinkofaname said:

ok, I got it because my dad owns a server/worksstation stuff and he had no use for it and sells them for cheap. And no, He doesn't sell old parts, thats pretty much the only reason I got this

Yeah, because that SKU and those specs for a ~2012 system was worth thousands of dollars, like the Xeon SKU alone retailed for $1700+ 

Just now, Shd0w2 said:

Yeah, because that SKU and those specs for a ~2012 system was worth thousands of dollars, like the Xeon SKU alone retailed for $1700+ 

Ya, yesterday I got to hold a M6000 E5-2697v4 Z840 it was special

Ya, yesterday I got to hold a M6000 E5-2697v4 Z840 it was special

Nice! Well, enjoy gaming with your new computer, I'll be off now if you don't need more help.

Nice! Well, enjoy gaming with your new computer, I'll be off now if you don't need more help.

Ok Thanks

8 minutes ago, Shd0w2 said:

Sorry but one more question, how would a gtx 1070 and the old xeon do in VR

Sorry but one more question, how would a gtx 1070 and the old xeon do in VR

Gtx 1070 is a pretty good VR card, but if you really wanted to get into VR I'd grab a 1080, but I'm not sure if the xeon will bottleneck the 1080. Keep in mind you also have the cost of VR / the Vive. Honestly, I don't see VR being practical to get right now, as not many games support it and buying a 1440p / 4K monitor would be cheaper and would work in ALL games (pretty much).

2 minutes ago, Shd0w2 said:

Gtx 1070 is a pretty good VR card, but if you really wanted to get into VR I'd grab a 1080, but I'm not sure if the xeon will bottleneck the 1080. Keep in mind you also have the cost of VR / the Vive. Honestly, I don't see VR being practical to get right now, as not many games support it and buying a 1440p / 4K monitor would be cheaper and would work in ALL games (pretty much).

Ya, but theres a chance that I might be able to get a vive in the future for free so you know

Ya, but theres a chance that I might be able to get a vive in the future for free so you know

Then go for a 1070 and it should be able to play VR pretty well. But if you really wanted to have the best VR experience then go for a 1080 as I said, but you likely would have to get a new intel 6600k + new ram + new mobo.

Then go for a 1070 and it should be able to play VR pretty well. But if you really wanted to have the best VR experience then go for a 1080 as I said, but you likely would have to get a new intel 6600k + new ram + new mobo.

ok thanks. I just plan to play games like onward so I think it should be fine