Which CPU is better? Quick question.

R3mixz

I'm currently a peasant with an i3 4170 and a gtx 960.

I would like to upgrade my CPU cause it's dragging my FPS down. I can get two of these CPU's for a cheap price and I would like to know which one is better. I will not be overclocking right now but I can get these two CPU's from my friend for cheap. i5 4690k  vs i7 4790. I've been getting confused as HELL cause people are saying no the 4790 is better or that the 4690k is better... pls help..

the 4790 is better, especially if you're gonna run a gtx 980ti or better graphics card. if your mobo is not a z87/97 chipset mobo you wont be able to oc the i5. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

the 4790 is better, especially if you're gonna run a gtx 980ti or better graphics card. if your mobo is not a z87/97 chipset mobo you wont be able to oc the i5. 

I have a GTX 960 2GB and a ASUS H81-Plus

2 minutes ago, R3mixz said:

I'm currently a peasant with an i3 4170 and a gtx 960.

I would like to upgrade my CPU cause it's dragging my FPS down. I can get two of these CPU's for a cheap price and I would like to know which one is better. I will not be overclocking right now but I can get these two CPU's from my friend for cheap. i5 4690k  vs i7 4790. I've been getting confused as HELL cause people are saying no the 4790 is better or that the 4690k is better... pls help..

I'd get the i5

Firstly the extra threads in the i7 won't help much in gaming 

Secondly you can pick up a 30 dollar cooler and start ocing the i5 to reach higher clock speeds which would help you more in games than the extra threads in the if. 

HOWEVER if you have a mobo that doesn't support ocing go with the i7

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

2 minutes ago, R3mixz said:

i7 4790 it is.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, R3mixz said:

you won't be able to oc with the mobo. i'd recommend the i7, along with an rx 470/480/r9 390/gtx 1060(if you can) for the best upgrade. the i7 won't bottleneck any current GPU while the graphics card will help the most in gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

22 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

I'd get the i5

Firstly the extra threads in the i7 won't help much in gaming 

Secondly you can pick up a 30 dollar cooler and start ocing the i5 to reach higher clock speeds which would help you more in games than the extra threads in the if. 

HOWEVER if you have a mobo that doesn't support ocing go with the i7

There is a huge difference in some games,scenarios and minimum fps,this was confirmed by @App4that

24 minutes ago, R3mixz said:

i7 4790,you will not be able to OC the i5 anyway

16 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

There is a huge difference in some games,scenarios and minimum fps,this was confirmed by @App4that

Could you link the benchmarks

Cause I saw an ltt video that showed there wasnt

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

4 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

Ask @App4that for the full story

21 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

there will be a major difference if you're playing cpu heavy games and if you're using a gtx 980ti or better gpu and 1080p 144hz.