Windows 10 Anniversary Black Screen on Start-Up

Go to solution Solved by SGM,
7 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Sounds like something messed up during installation and you have corrupted files. You might have to do a fresh install and update to fix it.

I've done some digging around and it seems that turning off fast-boot in the power options resolves the issue. I've tried it a few times and it's fine again. Doesn't appear to be affecting my boot times with it disabled either. 

What a strange issue. 

Since installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update when I turn on my PC and it takes forever to log in and when it finally does I'm greeted with a black screen. I can't do anything other than move the cursor around or bring up task manager, etc. 

I have to restart the computer for it to function normally and logging in takes about 2 seconds as opposed to around 20. 

I can't seem to be able to uninstall the update either. 

Suggestions? 

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Sounds like something messed up during installation and you have corrupted files. You might have to do a fresh install and update to fix it.

7 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

I've done some digging around and it seems that turning off fast-boot in the power options resolves the issue. I've tried it a few times and it's fine again. Doesn't appear to be affecting my boot times with it disabled either. 

What a strange issue. 

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

Just now, SGM said:

What a strange issue. 

Is there an issue from Microsoft that has ever been not strange? :P

Glad it's fixed for you now. :>

Sounds alot like the machine is booting into a "soft-mode" are you sure all your componentry is windows 10 compatible?

Try to boot manually into "safe mode" (usually pressing F8 whilst it is turning on) if it behaves normally start disconnecting / uninstalling components until you get a normal windows login. 

If no change perhaps use the Windows repair my installation tool and then research the error codes provided. 

Hope this helps 

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Just now, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Sounds alot like the machine is booting into a "soft-mode" are you sure all your componentry is windows 10 compatible?

Try to boot manually into "safe mode" (usually pressing F8 whilst it is turning on) if it behaves normally start disconnecting / uninstalling components until you get a normal windows login. 

If no change perhaps use the Windows repair my installation tool and then research the error codes provided. 

Hope this helps 

Yeah, it's all stuff from the last 4 years or so. Oldest part is probably the graphics cards (two R9 290Xs). 

I'll give the repair tool a try if it happens again. 

30 minutes ago, SGM said:

Since installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update when I turn on my PC and it takes forever to log in and when it finally does I'm greeted with a black screen. I can't do anything other than move the cursor around or bring up task manager, etc. 

I have to restart the computer for it to function normally and logging in takes about 2 seconds as opposed to around 20. 

I can't seem to be able to uninstall the update either. 

Suggestions? 

nVidia drivers. Nuff said. Case closed. Moving on. NEXT!

Hear me out; I'm not picking on nVidia here. This black screen upon log-on after an OS update or nVidia driver update was a regular occurrence at the computer repair shop I worked at. It happened with Windows 8 through 10 due to the way the drivers fail to talk to the hardware when you shut the system down with fast startup enabled.

Since then, I've made a note to ALWAYS disable fast startup on any and all Windows 8 and 10 systems I ever have access to.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, SGM said:

Yeah, it's all stuff from the last 4 years or so. Oldest part is probably the graphics cards (two R9 290Xs). 

I'll give the repair tool a try if it happens again. 

My understanding of what is going to happen with Windows 10, is that the OS is moving to a closed architecture (think IOS from Apple). So that would mean changing every currently used component driver from WOW32 to WOW64...and...getting it verified (paying MS for a certification). Which some current manufacturers without the appropriate patent licences will not achive. Thus your current *hokey-pokey* problem where the OS does not have signed drivers but still has all the WOW32 architecture and driver support. :S

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

21 minutes ago, kirashi said:

nVidia drivers. Nuff said. Case closed. Moving on. NEXT!

Hear me out; I'm not picking on nVidia here. This black screen upon log-on after an OS update or nVidia driver update was a regular occurrence at the computer repair shop I worked at. It happened with Windows 8 through 10 due to the way the drivers fail to talk to the hardware when you shut the system down with fast startup enabled.

Since then, I've made a note to ALWAYS disable fast startup on any and all Windows 8 and 10 systems I ever have access to.

Your post poses a "Question" though is the fast-boot you are speaking of a software one (think pressing function-key + F5 during boot) or a BIOS change of setting because your machine has the componentry and driver support (express start for Windows 8.1 qualified machines where running version 8.0). As this is where the Windows OS architecture begins to have dual options built-in to the code.

So this was where MS started hard-lining the *free* upgrade to WX because if you do not upgrade support will only been *limited* due to component level hardware "conflicts" (MS way of saying BOSOD time for everyone left behind in Windows 8.0).

Haaaaaarr Haaaaaarr brrrrrrrrrrr

3 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Your post poses a "Question" though is the fast-boot you are speaking of a software one (think pressing function-key + F5 during boot) or a BIOS change of setting because your machine has the componentry and driver support (express start for Windows 8.1 qualified machines where running version 8.0). As this is where the Windows OS architecture begins to have dual options built-in to the code.

So this was where MS started hard-lining the *free* upgrade to WX because if you do not upgrade support will only been *limited* due to component level hardware "conflicts" (MS way of saying BOSOD time for everyone left behind in Windows 8.0).

Haaaaaarr Haaaaaarr brrrrrrrrrrr

I was talking about the Fast-Boot option in Windows' Power Settings menu.

The fast boot options in most BIOS screens are slightly different, although newer motherboard have both a fast-boot that skips certain hardware checks during startup, and another fast-boot that's actually required for the Windows fast-boot to work.

Because, I mean, why the heck would developers actually think about naming schemes before implementing products?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)