Utorrent taking lots of space

SparkySamZa

Só as the title saying I am downloading a 300gb torrent and on my 1TB HDD now I have it over 320gb to download the files but keeps running out of pace on the drive indicating it is taking more than the 300gb it is supposed to be; does anyone know why. 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

U torrent it could be any thing most propley mole wear or spy wear or virus.  

3 hours ago, SparkySamZa said:

Só as the title saying I am downloading a 300gb torrent and on my 1TB HDD now I have it over 320gb to download the files but keeps running out of pace on the drive indicating it is taking more than the 300gb it is supposed to be; does anyone know why. 

First off: What are you trying to download that is 300GB? that is a freaking huge file.

Secondly: I am not sure why this occurs, Maybe clear out some more space on your hard drive? or get a cheap 500gb - 1tb external hdd and tell utorrent to download the file to there?

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...

15 minutes ago, VulcanAndroid said:

First off: What are you trying to download that is 300GB? that is a freaking huge file.

Secondly: I am not sure why this occurs, Maybe clear out some more space on your hard drive? or get a cheap 500gb - 1tb external hdd and tell utorrent to download the file to there?

He is from London, so Tea recipes most likely ;D

----

If we assume you are downloading something that is knowen not to contain bloatware, viruses and such:

It could be that due to the constant user switching, from whom you are downloading, the system just f*ed up some of the content or double downloaded some.

Another possibility would be that, due to the size of the size (if it is a single, 300GB and not multiple smaler that sum up to that), windows/utorrent need to allocate additional space for stuff and things.

Another option, though very very unlikely, your HDD has dead sectors which the system tryes to avoid.

Either way once the file has finished downloading it should return to the actual size of 300GB. Though I'm also curious what the heck you are downloading.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

The torrent can end up being downloaded in various chunks which are stored as temp files until the download is finished and the resulting temp files are combined into one file. Due to the way files are stored in "sectors", the temp files could take up more than 300GB of space before they are combined.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD