Odd power issue

WarriorsHonor

Honestly as some one who repairs computers for a living its a bit embarassing to ask for help. But nobody knows everything so here we go. I have AMD 6300 socketed into a gigabyte 970A-DS3. Im also running a 750 corsair PSU(brand new) along with an HD Radeon 7990 and finally a corsair h100i. For some unknown reason when under load (lately when im playing ranked overwatch..... oh god the rage) my system will restart. Not blue screen. Not throw an error. Just restarts will immediately boot back up. Windows event viewer shows just a kernel power error. I have just replaced my PSU assuming it was the issue. I've monitored the heat and nothing outlandish going on there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, WarriorsHonor said:

Honestly as some one who repairs computers for a living its a bit embarassing to ask for help. But nobody knows everything so here we go. I have AMD 6300 socketed into a gigabyte 970A-DS3. Im also running a 750 corsair PSU(brand new) along with an HD Radeon 7990 and finally a corsair h100i. For some unknown reason when under load (lately when im playing ranked overwatch..... oh god the rage) my system will restart. Not blue screen. Not throw an error. Just restarts will immediately boot back up. Windows event viewer shows just a kernel power error. I have just replaced my PSU assuming it was the issue. I've monitored the heat and nothing outlandish going on there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had an issue with my HD7950 that was similar while playing Space Engineers. I was able to resolve it by using a different (non-beta) driver. Have you tried that?

1. At least you're not running an RX for a day because this is known to happen every single time it's under load and

2. May be returning the 750W and upgrading to an 850W or 900W would be better because a 7990 is a very hung power-hungry card

4 minutes ago, WarriorsHonor said:

So when you say "nothing outlandish" with the heat what exactly are the values you are getting? Do you have the 6300 overclocked at all?

Maybe try running Memtest86 for a few passes to make sure there's no issues there first thing.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

45 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

So when you say "nothing outlandish" with the heat what exactly are the values you are getting? Do you have the 6300 overclocked at all?

Maybe try running Memtest86 for a few passes to make sure there's no issues there first thing.

no the 6300 is stock and under load were talking 55 C 

48 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

I had an issue with my HD7950 that was similar while playing Space Engineers. I was able to resolve it by using a different (non-beta) driver. Have you tried that?

this had bridged across several different drivers 

Just now, WarriorsHonor said:

this had bridged across several different drivers 

I don't know how to help you. Hope this gif cheers you up.d5cd57ea8729f1df7256031cb34e566d34c7d3ba5a9d6a7462b91d5f992c31b6_1.gif

that corgi represents my soul every time i loser power during ranked overwatch

How many amps on the 12v rail of that PSU?

If it's under 60a, then that may be the problem. Under heavy load, your PSU wouldn't be able to deliver enough power.

If possible try another power supply and see if the problem persists, if it does check for any signs of damaged components around the motherboards vrm area, there's a few reports on google about the vrms overheating/popping on that board

56 minutes ago, wolfsbane3083 said:

If possible try another power supply and see if the problem persists, if it does check for any signs of damaged components around the motherboards vrm area, there's a few reports on google about the vrms overheating/popping on that board

This is the second power supply and it has persisted ill check the vrm

1 hour ago, SageOfSpice said:

How many amps on the 12v rail of that PSU?

If it's under 60a, then that may be the problem. Under heavy load, your PSU wouldn't be able to deliver enough power.

sadly I dont own a working multimeter but i can see if i can get my hands on that thank you

Depending upon what else you have in your computer, you may simply need a slightly larger power supply. The HD7990 is very power hungry. Try an 850 watt supply. Or, you could retire (or sell) the 7990 and get a Radeon Fury or GTX-1080 which would perform as well, at less power draw.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD