Xeon vs i7

Considering putting either a i7 4790K or E3 1275V3 in my new rig. What is the overclockability of the xeon and how its its performance compared to the i7 4790K

i7-5930K@4.7Ghz | Asus X99-E-WS/USB 3.1 | Corsair Vengance 32GB DDR4@2666Mhz | Duo Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming | Samsung 950Pro 512GB | LSI 9260-8i RAID Card | 6x 1TB Samsung 850 Pro (RAID5) | Corsair AX1200i |  Fractal Design Defiine R5 Black | MetaDot DasKeyboard4 Professional | Logitech G900 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Asus PG348Q

while you *can* bclk overclock a xeon, you should expect none.

you can overclock a xeon, look at linus's video :D

Please, follow your own posts and mention me in comments, otherwise i won't be able to help you.

Daily OS: OpenBSD -current

not much difference actually, just that the 4790k is clocked higher at stock. if you're overclocking get the 4790k(xeons don't overclock). if not get whatever is cheaper(should be the 4790k).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

not much difference actually, just that the 4790k is clocked higher st stock. if you're overclocking get the 4790k(xeons don't overclock). if not get whatever is cheaper(should be the 4790k).

i7 "equivalent" xeons generally are better value, but the ones that are appealing value generally lack an iGPU.

3 minutes ago, EpicKneusje said:

you can overclock a xeon, look at linus's video :D

Xeons overclock the base clock which is a matter of .1 to .3 MHz while the 4790k you can overclock using the multiplier which is much more effective.

The 4790k will overclock better

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i7 "equivalent" xeons generally are better value, but the ones that are appealing value generally lack an iGPU.

xeons aren't easy to find in the stores here, only 1-2 seem to have it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, thetechygamer15 said:

Xeons overclock the base clock which is a matter of .1 to .3 MHz while the 4790k you can overclock using the multiplier which is much more effective.

The 4790k will overclock better

it indeed wil overclock better, but you CAN overclock a xeon, and that was the point im making :)

Please, follow your own posts and mention me in comments, otherwise i won't be able to help you.

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

xeons aren't easy to find in the stores here, only 1-2 seem to have it.

here they're pretty easy to get a hold of. i guess it depends on location, some stores just think plebs dont buy xeons :P

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

here they're pretty easy to get a hold of. i guess it depends on location, some stores just think plebs dont buy xeons :P

i actually wanna buy a xeon instead of an i7, just to see what other tech-noobs will think of it :P

4 minutes ago, EpicKneusje said:

it indeed wil overclock better, but you CAN overclock a xeon, and that was the point im making :)

You can, it just isn't worth it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

5 minutes ago, EpicKneusje said:

Yah I definatly agree with u, but I'm not sure if it will overclock better than a 4790k. I don't own a xeon, but I think the 4790k will OC better

Yah I definatly agree with u, but I'm not sure if it will overclock better than a 4790k. I don't own a xeon, but I think the 4790k will OC better

i dont own a xeon either, (planning on building a workstation with one in it) 

it will not overclock better, i am quite sure it wont.

No the i7 will oc better since the xeon needs to be overclocked through bclk, which may cause ram instabilities as well.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •