CPU for streaming

I'm looking into building my first gaming PC, and I'm unsure what CPU I need to get. I plan on streaming to Twitch from the same machine I am playing on, how powerful do I need to go in order to stream and play the game at a stable level? GPU in my system is going to be a 1070, and I'm aiming for 1080p, 60 fps minimum while streaming (but of course higher is better).

I assume an i7 will be necessary, but do I need to go with a K so I can overclock it or would say a 6700 be just fine for me versus the 6700K. Or are there non Intel CPU's that would be better to go with?

Thanks for helping a PC noob.

12 minutes ago, JustALittleHazy said:

I'm looking into building my first gaming PC, and I'm unsure what CPU I need to get. I plan on streaming to Twitch from the same machine I am playing on, how powerful do I need to go in order to stream and play the game at a stable level? GPU in my system is going to be a 1070, and I'm aiming for 1080p, 60 fps minimum while streaming (but of course higher is better).

I assume an i7 will be necessary, but do I need to go with a K so I can overclock it or would say a 6700 be just fine for me versus the 6700K. Or are there non Intel CPU's that would be better to go with?

Thanks for helping a PC noob.

A 6700 (non K) would do fine.

It would be best to invest money on thing that will enhance your stream quality rather than the PC, priority number one being the microphone. A camera / some nice lighting  and possibly even a green screen (if you intend for your face to show up on stream) are also high on the list, though sound should be your main concern.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

A 6700 (non K) would do fine.

It would be best to invest money on thing that will enhance your stream quality rather than the PC, priority number one being the microphone. A camera / some nice lighting  and possibly even a green screen (if you intend for your face to show up on stream) are also high on the list, though sound should be your main concern.

I won't be doing any facecam stuff immediately, I'll be saving up for a good camera and lighting so I can at a later date. I will be investing in a good microphone though. My main concern was just making sure that the PC would handle streaming and playing games simultaneously.

Non K is good to hear though, I can save some money there on cooling if I'm not overclocking, to put towards the microphone. Thanks for the response.

I'd pay an extra coupe bucks for a 6700k for more overclocking potential in the future. If you are able to stretch, go for it.

1 hour ago, MadOrc said:

I'd pay an extra coupe bucks for a 6700k for more overclocking potential in the future. If you are able to stretch, go for it.

Yeah, looking at it the 6700K is only about $50 more than the 6700, might be worth to spend that extra cash in case I want to overclock in the future, even though I likely won't be doing it initially.