Computer crashing seconds after opening games

arcticwolf12

So, for most of this afternoon I have been gaming completely trouble free. Don't hate too hard, but have been playing Runescape. I was playing fine for hours, and then I walked outside because I noticed it seemed to be getting stormy and wanted to check it out (This may be relevant) and when I walked back inside, I got on my computer for maybe two minutes before all of the sudden both of my displays stopped displaying windows, my main display was yellowy, with almost a grid/lines, while my second display was just straight white, and my speakers starting playing white noise. My computer itself had no change in sound, fans didn't pick up speed or stop spinning. I thought it was a fluke because nothing like this had ever happened, so I restarted the computer and game, after maybe 30 seconds it happened again. This time I restarted without opening any games and nothing happened. So I tested GTA 5, and it crashed seconds after completely loading into online mode. Sorry for the long description, just trying to convey everything I know... I think it might have been a power surge? Tonight was the first storm thats hit my house this year, however my computer is plugged into a surge protector. 

I dont believe its a overheating issue because I've used this computer for years, and now it crashes just seconds after starting games, without any time for overheating.

My specs: Windows 10 64bit          intel i5 2500k         radeon 6870          tx650 psu           kingston 120gb ssd

I tried checking the windows Event viewer for errors, but didn't find anything at all.. Sorry I am unsure how to post dump files.

Edit: After reading this a bit further, I'm right now trying to think about the causes.

I've had this computer for quite a long time, I'd say 3+ years and this is the first problem like this. When I first built it I had to RMA my 6870 because of it causing games to crash, however I haven't had any problems since then. I really don't think it is an overheating problem, and I checked this by opening GTA 5 with afterburner open and my tempts didnt even move in the time it took for the computer to crash.

1 minute ago, arcticwolf12 said:

I've had this computer for quite a long time, I'd say 3+ years and this is the first problem like this. When I first built it I had to RMA my 6870 because of it causing games to crash, however I haven't had any problems since then. I really don't think it is an overheating problem, and I checked this by opening GTA 5 with afterburner open and my tempts didnt even move in the time it took for the computer to crash.

Do you have a PSU tester around? If you do, try to use it and make sure this is not power surge problem. If not, I'm thinking about the cables. You should try to make sure that all simple problems like loose cables didn't happen or maybe just let your computer rest for half a day or so and then plug it back (I don't know why but while troubleshooting stuff for my customers, sometimes, I just let some of the computers rest for half a day, then they automatically turned on and worked just fine)

Oh, since surge protector can only protect your computer from power spikes for a certain amount of electrical power, make sure yours is still protective.

3 minutes ago, vgfan1995 said:

Do you have a PSU tester around? If you do, try to use it and make sure this is not power surge problem. If not, I'm thinking about the cables. You should try to make sure that all simple problems like loose cables didn't happen or maybe just let your computer rest for half a day or so and then plug it back (I don't know why but while troubleshooting stuff for my customers, sometimes, I just let some of the computers rest for half a day, then they automatically turned on and worked just fine)

I unfortunately do not have a tester... I just tried opening a game again, this time I had a video playing in the background. First my main display went to now a green color, still with like lines/grid,  and my second display went white. However the video kept playing and I could hear it for about 3 seconds and then white noise. Not sure if this information helps or changes anything..

I think this is not power surge problem then. Now, let me ask you a little bit more. Do you use your monitors' speakers or a separate one? Have you checked your cables to make sure they're not loose?

I grabbed a video of it happening, it seems to display a different color each time, and has previously stayed up longer than it did this time. I didnt touch the computer or anything at all as this was happening, just opened a game and waited.  My speakers are independent

I took out my GPU and restarted and it didnt crash when I started playing games... Is my 6870 dead? It runs the games well for the seconds before the crash with no stuttering or lag.

2 hours ago, vgfan1995 said:

I think this is not power surge problem then. Now, let me ask you a little bit more. Do you use your monitors' speakers or a separate one? Have you checked your cables to make sure they're not loose?

Computer will no longer boot with the video card installed..