Help with Corsair HX1200i PSU

Hi everyone,

It was in March/April I finished this build. It started in a couple of wks after that (till then no issues i ran into) - the PSU HX1200i getting electric sparks(sometimes) with a noise  when I turn on the on/off button of PSU and PC won't power on. But when I turn it off and back on PC starts and run. I usually turn off the power button of PSU at night after shutting down and mostly this happening when i first time turn it on in the mornings. Bcoz it was happening on and off, I contacted Corsair and they advised to do RMA and i got another new HX1200i. Its been another 4-6 wks and the problem started again. The PC is sitting on a steel/glass computer table and off ground. I was wondering if its a short circuit or from static. It shouldn't be a faulty PSU as its happening also on second one too. Power is from an independent wall socket. Has it happened to any one before. My build details is given below - I know the psu is a bit overkill for this build, but please give me help me with the issue here

- Case - Fractal design - define R5 - all fan slots except top of the case are used - thermal status is in excellent region on  Thermal Radar2 app.

- i7 5820k - no overclocking done yet

- Sabertooth x99

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB+ 2x 8GB = 32GB total

- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ 6GB -single

- Noctua D15 cpu cooling

- TP-Link Archer T8E AC1750 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express

If anymore details needed let me know...

29 minutes ago, silTech said:

Hi everyone,

It was in March/April I finished this build. It started in a couple of wks after that (till then no issues i ran into) - the PSU HX1200i getting electric sparks(sometimes) with a noise  when I turn on the on/off button of PSU and PC won't power on. But when I turn it off and back on PC starts and run. I usually turn off the power button of PSU at night after shutting down and mostly this happening when i first time turn it on in the mornings. Bcoz it was happening on and off, I contacted Corsair and they advised to do RMA and i got another new HX1200i. Its been another 4-6 wks and the problem started again. The PC is sitting on a steel/glass computer table and off ground. I was wondering if its a short circuit or from static. It shouldn't be a faulty PSU as its happening also on second one too. Power is from an independent wall socket. Has it happened to any one before. My build details is given below - I know the psu is a bit overkill for this build, but please give me help me with the issue here

- Case - Fractal design - define R5 - all fan slots except top of the case are used - thermal status is in excellent region on  Thermal Radar2 app.

- i7 5820k - no overclocking done yet

- Sabertooth x99

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB+ 2x 8GB = 32GB total

- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ 6GB -single

- Noctua D15 cpu cooling

- TP-Link Archer T8E AC1750 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express

If anymore details needed let me know...

have you tried it in another part of the house with a different voltage regulator?

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

At this unit(apt) I'm not sure voltage will be different. I tried on two different plug points.. 

4 hours ago, silTech said:

At this unit(apt) I'm not sure voltage will be different. I tried on two different plug points.. 

Make sure that your outlets are properly grounded. At my house, we recently discovered that the electrician who wired the house did not ground any sockets, and this made our power-filter burn the socket and knocked out the entire room's electricity.

Might have to get an electrician out to check it (or get landlord/lady to).

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit