Online games bandwith consumption.

Hi everyone,

can you help me answer my questions?

My brother and sister always blames me as the cause why the net is slow, why the vids in youtube buffers whenever I play DOTA2(an online MOBA).

They say I consume most of the bandwith(or whatever the term for measurement of eating internet speed).

They are connected via wifi with their ipads, tablets and phones, while me, my PC is connected via LAN cable.

also we use internet usually at the same time of the day, at night, because we are usually out during the day.

Are they right on their accusations? that playing DOTA2 is eats up bandwith that much?

bytheway: I live in a country where internet speed is pain in the a**.

ma spoder senz iz tingling...

Well, the only way of finding out is to start an online game, tab out and look in task manager for how much network speed it is using.

Will try it out next time I game. :)

17 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

Well, the only way of finding out is to start an online game, tab out and look in task manager for how much network speed it is using.

16 minutes ago, thomasths27 said:

Open up task manager and look hm u are using.

But something like Dota shut not eat to much bandwidth.

Will try it out next time I game. :)

Generally, gaming online will barely put a ding in your bandwidth (heck, Final Fantasy XI only takes a measly 10 megabytes an hour), but games that stream in new/missing content (like Guild Wars) or games that have a lot of user-made content (Counter-Strike, TeamFortress2, etc) will certainly put a number on your bandwidth usage over time depending on your game and server selection. For WoW, you'll be fine, though it'd be safe to do any of the major patches on a home network, just to keep your bandwidth usage low. Just don't plan to YouTube much also as that can use a fair amount of bandwidth in a short time. I'd recommend looking for a software that tracks active applications and network usage and logs it all to get a real idea of your net-usage habits so you know what's using what amount for the duration it's up. AnalogX NetStat (google it) is half-decent, tracking your monthly usage, as well as usage since last reboot.

6 minutes ago, JasmineJasmine said:

Generally, gaming online will barely put a ding in your bandwidth (heck, Final Fantasy XI only takes a measly 10 megabytes an hour), but games that stream in new/missing content (like Guild Wars) or games that have a lot of user-made content (Counter-Strike, TeamFortress2, etc) will certainly put a number on your bandwidth usage over time depending on your game and server selection. For WoW, you'll be fine, though it'd be safe to do any of the major patches on a home network, just to keep your bandwidth usage low. Just don't plan to YouTube much also as that can use a fair amount of bandwidth in a short time. I'd recommend looking for a software that tracks active applications and network usage and logs it all to get a real idea of your net-usage habits so you know what's using what amount for the duration it's up. AnalogX NetStat (google it) is half-decent, tracking your monthly usage, as well as usage since last reboot.

Noted.
Thank you for the reply.
Question: Can this AnalogX NetStat see/tell what the other devices connected to the modem are doing? like sites?(I dont aim breaking privacy, but can it?), and also tell applications they are using like Torrent applications specially. Or it is limited to my computer only?