Gigabit that isn't?

So this is a bit of a strange one to me! 

I have a gigabit router and switch and my connection on my pc runs from my gigabit lan port to the switch, to the router using Cat 6 UTP - basic stuff.

So in theory, gigabit connection right? Wrong. I seem to only be able to get 100Mbps maximum. I have tried manually changing it to 1Gbps full duplex, but the connection drops and I lose all network connectivity. I have also used Windows tool for checking the cables for errors (I made them up myself) and used a seperate physical tool - no errors were found.

My brothers PC is connected directly to the same Switch using Cat 5e UTP, and gets gigabit connection? I found this very strange, so I used his PC on my connection (put it in my room and wired it up) and it still said 100Mbps (ruling out a dodgy lan port). 

I took my PC into his room, and got a gigabit connection. So surely there must be something up with the wires? I have logged into both the Switch and Routers online management, and the Switches ports are all set to Gigabit, so this is all very strange. My cable runs are less than thr 100M limit, and at each end of the cable running from my downstairs switch to my upstairs PC is plugged into a single port junction box. The cable runs through the wall, and a foot or so away from power cables, could this be causing enough attenuation to limit the bandwidth to 100Mbps? 

My usual Speedtest.net stats are around 65Mbps download and 5Mbps upload with around 13 ping. So not terrible scores, but obviously if I can improve it, why not? 

I have exhausted every option I could think of, and I'm wondering if any of you people can think of anything I have missed? 

Are you sure that both pcs have gigabit ports on the motherboard?

How are you measuring the connection speed.

@spidsepttk Yeah, I have a Asus Maximus Ranger VII mobo which I have checked and definitely has a gigabit lan port, and I'm measuring the speed through Speedtest.net. To measure the actual connection speed, I'm using the Network and Sharing Center utility in Windows

4 hours ago, Sharkbait123 said:

@spidsepttk Yeah, I have a Asus Maximus Ranger VII mobo which I have checked and definitely has a gigabit lan port, and I'm measuring the speed through Speedtest.net. To measure the actual connection speed, I'm using the Network and Sharing Center utility in Windows

It's definitely a problem between your PC and the switch, so I would try following the cable and just making sure there is nothing in between, maybe even swapping the cable with a new one.

if the cable only has 4 wires inside the RJ45 plug, it cannot exceed 100mbit.

But check that you are using at least cat5e with all 8 wires :) 

There might be a broken wire somewhere in the cable, so test with another cable too :)