Define s push/pull?

BrisoX

I'm planning to take on Define S and kelvin s36 AIO. Would you put AIO in front and use push/pull config, or put it on top and use push config? what about dust coming from top and noise?

WHITE MIST

CPU: I7 6700K @ 4,7GHz 1,38V GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix @ 1568MHz RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 MBO: MSI Krait gaming 3X Z170 PSU: Cooler Master VSM 750W CASE: Fractal Design Define S/window CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda

PcPartPicker - White Mist

Vidox Production - Official page

Honestly unless you're doing heavy overclocking, having 3 fans in push on the top will be enough and will keep the dust off the case in exhaust when it's running and if you have good fans you won't hear much.

Imo if you do exhaust, put it on top and if you do in take, put it at the front. Be sure to keep positive pressure in the case to prevent dust buildup, so if you put it in exhaust you'll need additional fans as intake to balance the pressure.

Rad on top and pulling air out of the case through the rad, you get what I mean.

That way you don't have to deal with as much dust compared to pushing air through the rad.

3 minutes ago, Ichi said:

Rad on top and pulling air out of the case through the rad, you get what I mean.

That way you don't have to deal with as much dust compared to pushing air through the rad.

yes i understand, but i also have this little gap on top in which dust can get easily. so why not push/pull infront and 140mm on the back as exhaust and top is closed. silent and dust friendly

WHITE MIST

CPU: I7 6700K @ 4,7GHz 1,38V GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix @ 1568MHz RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 MBO: MSI Krait gaming 3X Z170 PSU: Cooler Master VSM 750W CASE: Fractal Design Define S/window CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda

The front is better idea with having fans pulling air through the radiator so you have no worries always cleaning the fans but only cleaning the rad. I am owner of both of these things and pull is better

1 minute ago, BrisoX said:

yes i understand, but i also have this little gap on top in which dust can get easily. so why not push/pull infront and 140mm on the back as exhaust and top is closed. silent and dust friendly

If those are the only thing you will put in then go for it.

Rad infront as intake and exhaust at the back, that's the general way to do it.

I made a mistake of assuming you would have fans infront as intake.

1 minute ago, FilipSebik said:

The front is better idea with having fans pulling air through the radiator so you have no worries always cleaning the fans but only cleaning the rad. I am owner of both of these things and pull is better

Does pull only have lower performances than push only ? Did you tried both ? I'm curious.

2 minutes ago, Ichi said:

If those are the only thing you will put in then go for it.

Rad infront as intake and exhaust at the back, that's the general way to do it.

I made a mistake of assuming you would have fans infront as intake.

nono. i planned push pull in front. so 6 120mm in front (3 push and 3 pull) and 1 140mm on the back. would that be good?

WHITE MIST

58 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

Does pull only have lower performances than push only ? Did you tried both ? I'm curious.

I have tried push and pull and no impact on performance. max 65`C on both

Just now, FilipSebik said:

I have tried push and pull and no impact on performance. max 65`C on both

I mean, the CPU temp should be the same in both configuration. I was wondering about the water temperature over long period of time. I don't know what is the airflow comparison between push and pull, but if you have lower airflow in one you'll have either higher noise or increasing water temperature, which can increase CPU temp over long periods of load.

2 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

Linus did a video about it, push is harder to clean out the dust while pull is easier and both yield the same result.

2 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

nono. i planned push pull in front. so 6 120mm in front (3 push and 3 pull) and 1 140mm on the back. would that be good?

For me, push pull is overkill, at most you will see 2-3 degrees difference in temps but if you like the way it looks and don't mind taking out fans to clean it out then I guess you can do that.

Otherwise just do pull only.

1 hour ago, AngryFishLady said:

I mean, the CPU temp should be the same in both configuration. I was wondering about the water temperature over long period of time. I don't know what is the airflow comparison between push and pull, but if you have lower airflow in one you'll have either higher noise or increasing water temperature, which can increase CPU temp over long periods of load.

I have played GTA V with push and max was like 56`C after 6 hours? and then with pull it was the same

Just now, Ichi said:

Linus did a video about it, push is harder to clean out the dust while pull is easier and both yield the same result.

Oh ok, good to know, I'll change my setup in pull tonight.

Just now, Ichi said:

For me, push pull is overkill, at most you will see 2-3 degrees difference in temps but if you like the way it looks and don't mind taking out fans to clean it out then I guess you can do that.

Otherwise just do pull only.

i already got 3 additional fans, so where can i use them haha i have dist big dust filter in front for dust, but no problem cleaning..

WHITE MIST

58 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

i already got 3 additional fans, so where can i use them haha i have dist big dust filter in front for dust, but no problem cleaning..

You can put the rad in front with 3 fans, 1 at bottom, 1 at exhaust and 2 at top? or 1 at top

1 minute ago, BrisoX said:

Just do it I guess, another push pull advantage is you can run the fans at lower rpm so that will help with noise reduction.

And generally I don't clean my rig as much anyways, some do it weekly, some do it monthly, I generally do it once in 2-3 months or so.