i can't decide my upgrade

freezelander

so i have my pc now for around 3 years and it need upgrading badly,

i have at this moment:

cpu: amd FX 8320

ram: 16g corsair vengeance

psu: coolermaster b500

Gpu: asus radeon hd 7770 2gb gaming 

now my cpu and everything is just fine recently threw in 8 gigs of ram what helped a decent amount.

but i really start de feeling the age of my GPU because i play pretty heavy games like the division (whitch bearly runs)

for the most part i just play world of warcraft and diablo but i had to get my video settings down at every patch 

now that the new video cards are out i really want an upgrade and im tinking about switching to team green.

i considered the rx 480 but after the issues whit the power draw over the motherboard my preferance went to the gtx 1070

the gt1070 is pretty expensive for a student like me.

Palit GeForce GTX 1070 JetStream 8GB is the one i found most affordable

palit is in the netherlands a really unknown brand so i have no idea how the cards are

do you think there is an better option or should i just go for the palit card 

id love your opinion on this

greetz 

freezelander

You could also go with the 1060. A little cheaper than the 1070. I don't know what resolution you're running but it's a beast for 1080p. 

1 hour ago, IGJoe2192 said:

RX480 4GB 

if i would go for an rx480 it would be the 8gb version

52 minutes ago, Astino said:

You could also go with the 1060. A little cheaper than the 1070. I don't know what resolution you're running but it's a beast for 1080p. 

im still considering that but i want my GPU to be able to run games for the next 3 years if its possible

and the availibilty of the 1060 is also an issue they are almost nowhere availble and i want to buy a new card asap

4 hours ago, freezelander said:

Okay, but what games will you be playing outside of WoW and Diablo, both of those aren't very demanding games though WoW has its exceptions. I don't know what resolution you are gaming at. I am assuming it is 1080P, if that is the case then a 1070 is "overkill" even though it is a good card. A 1060 may be the better option as Nvidia is better optimized for WoW. 

6 hours ago, freezelander said:

so i have my pc now for around 3 years and it need upgrading badly,

i have at this moment:

cpu: amd FX 8320

ram: 16g corsair vengeance

psu: coolermaster b500

Gpu: asus radeon hd 7770 2gb gaming 

I'm far more worried about your cpu, with a big new gpu you might start to see some bottlenecks. My recommendation is to sell your cpu, motherboard and video card for a i5 cpu and Intel motherboard with a Gtx 1060 or rx 480. This will allow you to upgrade your gpu at least three times before running into another possible bottleneck. This may be a bit expensive but will definitely be worth it in the long run.

The 480 problems you mentioned seem to be on older motherboards.

5 hours ago, freezelander said:

...at which point you should just get a GTX 1060...it will also work better with your CPU since nvidia drivers are much lighter and require much less cpu overhead to reach that maximum potential in games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 hours ago, ComputerBoss said:

I'm far more worried about your cpu, with a big new gpu you might start to see some bottlenecks. My recommendation is to sell your cpu, motherboard and video card for a i5 cpu and Intel motherboard with a Gtx 1060 or rx 480. This will allow you to upgrade your gpu at least three times before running into another possible bottleneck. This may be a bit expensive but will definitely be worth it in the long run.

The 480 problems you mentioned seem to be on older motherboards.

i know i an saving to get get a new cpu but im willing to wait for that until amd comes out whit the zen series before commiting to anything for another 2 to 3 years

8 hours ago, IGJoe2192 said:

Okay, but what games will you be playing outside of WoW and Diablo, both of those aren't very demanding games though WoW has its exceptions. I don't know what resolution you are gaming at. I am assuming it is 1080P, if that is the case then a 1070 is "overkill" even though it is a good card. A 1060 may be the better option as Nvidia is better optimized for WoW. 

i want to play the division i cant run it after the first free dlc i get a max of 20fps whit a lot of stutter.

im also planning on playing the new battlefield 1 and i would love to be able to play that on ultra.

i hope to be able to get a 1440P monitor next winter thats why im leaning more towards the 1070

but still the upgrades to the pc go first 2 24" 1080p screens work just fine

10 hours ago, JJVGaming said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125881 

1060 here is available, but idk how long it will last. Its $290 too, so its a little overpriced.

tha availibilty in holland sucks the only card even remotly availible is the 1070 and 1080

5 hours ago, freezelander said:

It sounds like you are headed in the correct direction with the games you'd like to play and which GPU you will choose. I am running a 1440P monitor and The Division isn't the greatest title for AMD hardware as it is an Nvidia Gameworks title. My RX480's (though I use a single one because crossfire support in this game doesn't really exist) can run the game on high but it is about a 50fps avg. As for battlefield, that title should be run well on both sets of hardware so it looks like a 1070 or possibly a 1060 may be the better bet for you.

The first thing to upgrade is the GPU, I would go for RX 480 (4GB or 8GB whatever floats your boat), and then later maybe some Zen or Intel CPU.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD