Computer won't recognize HDD

dad69
Go to solution Solved by Mighty_Miro_WD,
9 minutes ago, dad69 said:

@Mighty_Miro_WD

I ran the test on my hard drive and it said it passed. Seems to me like it's running fine. I just don't know why I can't download and put things on the HDD which is the whole reason I'm trying to fix it lol. Anything else I can do to help fix?

OK, now we know for sure that the drive is healthy. :)

Did you try to format it via CMD too? If you did what happened? If not, then you can try to do it by following these steps:

• Open CMD, type diskpart, press Enter.
  • After that type list disk, press Enter.
  • Type select disk X (where X is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter and type clean, press Enter.
  • After that type create partition primary, press Enter, type format quick fs=ntfs, press Enter, type assign letter=F (or the letter you want to assign to the drive), press Enter and lastly - type exit.

So I just finished building my gaming PC, and everything seems to be working fine besides the fact my computer won't recognize my HDD. It shows up in the BIOS just fine, but when I go to disk drive management, the HDD doesn't show up. Only my SSD and the USB drive I used to install windows onto my PC show up. I just want to be able to use my HDD so I can download my games and stuff onto it. I have a Western Digital HDD and it seems to work fine physcially/mechanically. Thanks!

Might be a bad drive. Or even a bad cable. Do you have a second PC where you could verify? Disk management and Device manager should show the drive regardless of if or how it's formatted/partitioned, but File explorer will only show partitions that are Windows compatible. With DISKPART in an elevated command prompt, you can clean up the old partitioning. If you have AHCI or RAID enabled, you can hotswap it but if not, you need to reboot every time to detect the drive. Meaning, with AHCI you could try unplugging and re-plugging it in-OS.

could it possibly my OS? I'm running windows 8.1 64 bit that I got from my friend who torrented it for me, even though the HDD shows up in the BIOS.

Hi go to device management tru either explorer.exe file manager( the basic one where you take look at program files and stuff like that). its in the setting bar. Then go to storage devices and format the hdd. After that it will work

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

So I checked my device manager and it shows up in there and it says its working fine but I still cant use it or format it or anything. Anybody know what I should do now? It also says the partition style for the HDD is GUID partition table (GPT)

Hi @dad69!

You can try to rescan in Disk Management and hopefully the HDD will appear. You can follow this KB article on how to do that:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786898(v=ws.10).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

In case it doesn't work, since the hard disk is recognized in BIOS can you run a test on it with the WD diagnostic tool Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and see what the results will be? You can download it from here:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=cxYLOe

Let us know how it went. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

@Mighty_Miro_WD

I ran the test on my hard drive and it said it passed. Seems to me like it's running fine. I just don't know why I can't download and put things on the HDD which is the whole reason I'm trying to fix it lol. Anything else I can do to help fix?

9 minutes ago, dad69 said:

@Mighty_Miro_WD

OK, now we know for sure that the drive is healthy. :)

Did you try to format it via CMD too? If you did what happened? If not, then you can try to do it by following these steps:

• Open CMD, type diskpart, press Enter.
  • After that type list disk, press Enter.
  • Type select disk X (where X is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter and type clean, press Enter.
  • After that type create partition primary, press Enter, type format quick fs=ntfs, press Enter, type assign letter=F (or the letter you want to assign to the drive), press Enter and lastly - type exit.

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

thank you very much! seems to be fixed now! I appreciate it very much, couldn't of done it without ya :)

Hi,

I have almost the same problem with my toshiba dt01aca300 64mb 3tb. 

When i start up my computer it beeps five times but the motherboard can't detect it. 

The HDD is new in a new build and the HDD worked yesterday (first day of installation).

I tried the diskpart tip but it looks like this. (see image)

With the  WD diagnostic tool Data Lifeguard Diagnostics it looks like this.(see image)

I have change the sata cable and tried different inputs in the motherboard.

I have also tried these steps http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/168595en/ but without success.

Anyone got a clue, or is the disc broken?

Very thankful for help!!!

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG