Deciding on new GPU

So, I currently have a reference GTX 960 2gb, and am planning to upgrade soonish. In the future I will be playing things like Battlefield 1 and Doom, along with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Civilization VI.

I am currently deciding between an RX 480, and a GTX 1060. I don't want any fanboyism please, just opinions and facts.

Or would it be worth waiting for the RX 490? I live in the UK by the way, so the price difference between the 480 and the 1060 is pretty significant.

Thoughts?

personally id get a used 980 or a 1060, because the prices have come down a lot, and you can pick them up from gumtree etc for dirt cheap.

I think all the games you mention run better on the 480. But they run fine on the 1060 as well fairly close in fact. Between those 2 whichever is available locally and on a good model and brand (AIB Sapphire 480 or AIB EVGA 1060)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I think all the games you mention run better on the 480. But they run fine on the 1060 as well fairly close in fact. Between those 2 whichever is available locally and on a good model and brand (AIB Sapphire 480 or AIB EVGA 1060)

battlefield 1 aint even out lel. and we all know what happened with battlefield 4.

There is a chance the RX 490 will be released by the end of this year I would say 4-5 Months at best. Sounds like you would be better off with an AIB RX 480

Both are great cards, get ether. Nether one it "better" than the other.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, TheHappyJarhead said:

battlefield 1 aint even out lel.

The past what, 4 or 5 Battlefield games favor AMD. One of the first dev to support Mantle back then the new version of Frostbyte is almost guaranteed to run nicely on DX12 so yes, it's a guess but I say a fairly educated one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

34 minutes ago, Akula.Bishop said:

Snip

Comparing an RX480 to a 1060 isn't really a fair fight. the 1060 wins in pretty much every game/situation by a decent margin, but its also a bit more expensive. It would be like comparing a 1070 and a 1080. One is objectively better than the other, but it also comes with a higher price to get you there.

Long story short, between the 480 and 1060, Get whichever you can best afford. the 1060 is the better card. the 1060 is also the more expensive card.

14 minutes ago, Akula.Bishop said:

So, I currently have a reference GTX 960 2gb, and am planning to upgrade soonish. In the future I will be playing things like Battlefield 1 and Doom, along with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Civilization VI.

I am currently deciding between an RX 480, and a GTX 1060. I don't want any fanboyism please, just opinions and facts.

Or would it be worth waiting for the RX 490? I live in the UK by the way, so the price difference between the 480 and the 1060 is pretty significant.

Thoughts?

Performance is close. 1060 is about 10% faster in DX11 games and 480 is about 5-10% faster in DX12/Vulkan games. Get the cheaper one.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If i were you, id go with an RX480 simply because it is cheaper and has better preformance in the games you wish to play

If you want a let's say ''independent'' journalism then I would recommend you to watch AdoredTV's videos and maybe soon-ish the review of the 1060.