New Mobo and cpu HDD whipe?

Hi geeks, so im upgrading my old a10 to a i5 so ill need a new motherboard and cpu. And im planning on just booting windows 10 from a usb with win10 from the microsoft media creation file. And then im expecting to be able to choose "Keep all files" and preform a simple install of win10 on a new mobo but will this even be possible? Will i not need to whipe my harddrive when i click keep all files because i install windows on a new mobo? Or can i just do it like this? Please help me im desperate.

So, I had a little bit of trouble understanding what you meant since you mention booting Windows 10 from USB. I assume you mean booting the Windows 10 installer from USB.

In which case, you should be able to install over the top of your old installation and keep your files, yes. For safety, if there's anything super mission-critical I'd recommend backing it up before hand, but other than that I believe you have the correct idea.

3 minutes ago, forthe48 said:

So, I had a little bit of trouble understanding what you meant since you mention booting Windows 10 from USB. I assume you mean booting the Windows 10 installer from USB.

In which case, you should be able to install over the top of your old installation and keep your files, yes. For safety, if there's anything super mission-critical I'd recommend backing it up before hand, but other than that I believe you have the correct idea.

Yeah one problem... im too lazy to back everything up. And im also too lazy to reinstall all of my games.

But yeah im just going to boot the installer from a usb and then you should get 2 options: Upgrade= keep all files and stuff or Custom: wich i believe to do so you need to whipe ur whole HDD. And also ive read online that people are saying THAT YOU NEED TO FORMAT UR HDD TO INSTALL WINDOWS. But is this also the case for the Upgrade option and is it even possible to do so on a new mobo.

I hope you understand my grammar, english is not my native language 

1 minute ago, Call of What? said:

Yeah one problem... im too lazy to back everything up. And im also too lazy to reinstall all of my games.

But yeah im just going to boot the installer from a usb and then you should get 2 options: Upgrade= keep all files and stuff or Custom: wich i believe to do so you need to whipe ur whole HDD. And also ive read online that people are saying THAT YOU NEED TO FORMAT UR HDD TO INSTALL WINDOWS. But is this also the case for the Upgrade option and is it even possible to do so on a new mobo.

I hope you understand my grammar, english is not my native language 

No worries, I can mostly understand you.

I believe w hen you select the 'Upgrade' option, all of your files will be left as they are. I don't believe that you need to re-format your PC just to install Windows. The reason people generally recommend a clean install when switching motherboard and CPU is because if the correct drivers aren't present then there's a chance it will not boot/function properly.

If you really care about the data, you shouldn't be "too lazy" to back it up. The 'Upgrade' / whatever the option is that allows you to keep all your files should just re-install Windows over the top, and move all your old files to a 'Windows.old' folder, where you'd have to move them back to their original locations.

4 minutes ago, forthe48 said:

No worries, I can mostly understand you.

I believe w hen you select the 'Upgrade' option, all of your files will be left as they are. I don't believe that you need to re-format your PC just to install Windows. The reason people generally recommend a clean install when switching motherboard and CPU is because if the correct drivers aren't present then there's a chance it will not boot/function properly.

If you really care about the data, you shouldn't be "too lazy" to back it up. The 'Upgrade' / whatever the option is that allows you to keep all your files should just re-install Windows over the top, and move all your old files to a 'Windows.old' folder, where you'd have to move them back to their original locations.

Thank you so much for helping me out.

So yes this also works when installing a new motherboard and cpu? Since ive done this before just to reinstall windows on the same system but now im upgrading so i wasnt sure if it would work the same way.