Wi-Fi issues

Swiebertjeee
Go to solution Solved by MattProtatoFry,

Yes. You plug the CAT 6 cable into one of the ports (normally labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) on the back of the modem and route the CAT 6 cable into the back of your router in the WAN port. Best wishes on your topology!

So I currently have a modem my ISP (ziggo) provided me with I have always used these free modems and never had an issue actually. Since I moved houses (this house has thick concrete walls) I really have Wi-Fi issues as its reach can not surpass walls. I use a wifi repeater for the second floor which sometimes work but most of the times it looks like it doesn't receive enough signal from the modem downstairs. for my computers upstairs I have no problems since I use cables for them but I have one pc especially for streaming to different chrome cast in the house but this is impossible and I want to fix this. Can I use something like a second modem like a CAT 6 cable going from the first modem to the second to get the second modem send out strong wifi signals? 

Or what would be the best solution in general? 

Thanks in advance. 

Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

You could set up a second extension, in line of sight with your router, and hook up CAT6 to that router.  In this situation, it would probably be best to just go full ethernet however.

5 minutes ago, Swiebertjeee said:

So I currently have a modem my ISP (ziggo) provided me with I have always used these free modems and never had an issue actually. Since I moved houses (this house has thick concrete walls) I really have Wi-Fi issues as its reach can not surpass walls. I use a wifi repeater for the second floor which sometimes work but most of the times it looks like it doesn't receive enough signal from the modem downstairs. for my computers upstairs I have no problems since I use cables for them but I have one pc especially for streaming to different chrome cast in the house but this is impossible and I want to fix this. Can I use something like a second modem like a CAT 6 cable going from the first modem to the second to get the second modem send out strong wifi signals? 

Or what would be the best solution in general? 

Thanks in advance. 

Powerline Adapters work well if your devices are Ethernet, I run one from one side of the house to the other and have a switch to connect multiple devices to it. 

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

1 minute ago, SuperMonkey507 said:

You could set up a second extension, in line of sight with your router, and hook up CAT6 to that router.  In this situation, it would probably be best to just go full ethernet however.

There is already going a CAT 6 cable going to the second floor since my computer is there I have a switch there so I could easilys et a second one there if that would help 

You could easily resolve this problem Swiebertjeee by creating another access point. My suggestion is to either to go to the nearest Best Buy or some computer part retailer and buy a router from NETGEAR that will be able to provide the speed of your internet (your speed can be found here: speedtest.net) and buy a USB Wifi Adapter or "Dongle" which could be around $60 alone if you have a high internet speed. I would suggest the A61200 Wifi Adapter. It comes with an extension. The modem could be cheap as $20 buck though and you would need an ethernet net cable of any compatibilty type to go from the modem to the new access point (router).

Have any questions? I'll be happy to answer. :)

I would say get a Powerline adapter with wifi like a Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+. you plug in the base to your modem/router combo provided by your isp, then the other adapter to the room you expect most usage. then configure the wifi of the powerline adapter and you should be golden.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5 GhZ COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Gainward GTX1080 GS MOBO: MSi Z170 Gaming M7 HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB PSU: Be quiet Power Zone 850W CASE: CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro DISPLAY: ASUS ROG PG348Q + LG 34UM95 + Samsung U28E850R + Samsung C24F396 SERVER: HP MicroServer G8 w/ HP P222 & 4x Seagate 8TB RAID5

2 minutes ago, Dubesta11 said:

Powerline Adapters work well if your devices are Ethernet, I run one from one side of the house to the other and have a switch to connect multiple devices to it. 

No I can't, if that was the case I could easily put ethernet cables everywhere but chromecasts are Wi-Fi only. 

5 minutes ago, MattProtatoFry said:

You could easily resolve this problem Swiebertjeee by creating another access point. My suggestion is to either to go to the nearest Best Buy or some computer part retailer and buy a router from NETGEAR that will be able to provide the speed of your internet (your speed can be found here: speedtest.net) and buy a USB Wifi Adapter or "Dongle" which could be around $60 alone if you have a high internet speed. I would suggest the A61200 Wifi Adapter. It comes with an extension. The modem could be cheap as $20 buck though and you would need an ethernet net cable of any compatibilty type to go from the modem to the new access point (router).

Have any questions? I'll be happy to answer. :)

How will this usb adapter help me? do I plug that directly in to the router or something? 

You could plug the USB adapter into your PC and it will extend your range tremendously (3x better than most laptop wifi adapters) The router is only expressing your signal and the A61200 makes it easier to gain the best experience off the wifi through those concrete walls.

You would not be able to extend your Chromecasts input signal but you may extend your streaming personal computers input with the Wifi Adapter.

3 minutes ago, MattProtatoFry said:

You could plug the USB adapter into your PC and it will extend your range tremendously (3x better than most laptop wifi adapters) The router is only expressing your signal and the A61200 makes it easier to gain the best experience off the wifi through those concrete walls.

but the computer wont even be on at all times, so getting that usb would be worthless right? I just need it to reach all the tv's with chromecast. 

The adapter is only for WiFi advantages. If your PC is already recieving the down and up stream then yes the A61200 would be indeed worthless. :D 
The Chromecast would just need a topology route from the modem to another router. I had the same problem you had with the concrete structure of my house so I ran a 100FT CAT 6 through the roof into the wall and connected a router to it to extend my connection and the 2 routers alone give me 5/5 to 4/5 bars in open space and 3/5 in the far corners. 

What I am guessing you need most is just a Ethernet cable and a strong router. I could suggest some great routers if you give me your price range.

2 minutes ago, MattProtatoFry said:

The adapter is only for WiFi advantages. If your PC is already recieving the down and up stream then yes the A61200 would be indeed worthless. :D 
The Chromecast would just need a topology route from the modem to another router. I had the same problem you had with the concrete structure of my house so I ran a 100FT CAT 6 through the roof into the wall and connected a router to it to extend my connection and the 2 routers alone give me 5/5 to 4/5 bars in open space and 3/5 in the far corners. 

Yea, I have like a 30 meter CAT 6 running so for my pc's I have no issues, looks like I just need the router thanks what would you advice me there are alot of different on the market and I dont know much about networking... 

2 minutes ago, MattProtatoFry said:

What I am guessing you need most is just a Ethernet cable and a strong router. I could suggest some great routers if you give me your price range.

Price range I would think max 170 euros 

If you would like a cheaper solution, I could do my best but remember with a butcher to price could lead to a butcher to performance and range.

5 minutes ago, MattProtatoFry said:

170 Euros for a router and an ethernet is no problem.
Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Wireless Router 146 Euros (Sorry I'm US :D )

100ft Cat 6 High Speed Ethernet 9 Euros roughly 

This one looks good, so I just plug the cat 6 in the WAN port and I can just use it like I use my modem or such?

Yes. You plug the CAT 6 cable into one of the ports (normally labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) on the back of the modem and route the CAT 6 cable into the back of your router in the WAN port. Best wishes on your topology!

1 minute ago, MattProtatoFry said:

Thank you for help, much appreciated! 

You are welcome! If you need any help, privately message me and I'll be glad to give out any guidence or advice. The stuff I normally help on the internet goes from instructions to fix any hardware issues within your personal computer to setting frequencies to your router to get the best strength from your router. I'll be glad to help any time!