FTP server speed

Testcatt

Hi,

I just set up a FileZilla based FTP server and during testing with a friend I noticed that we weren't getting the speeds I was expecting. We're getting about 12-17 MB/s but we both have a very good connection, does anyone here know if this is just an FTP limitation or did I do something wrong during setup?

Here is my connection speed from Speedtest, my friend has very similiar speeds.

5480549288[1].png

Thanks a lot! :)

3 minutes ago, Testcatt said:

Hi,

I just set up a FileZilla based FTP server and during testing with a friend I noticed that we weren't getting the speeds I was expecting. We're getting about 12-17 MB/s but we both have a very good connection, does anyone here know if this is just an FTP limitation or did I do something wrong during setup?

5480549288[1].png

I cant help but HOLY $HIT that is fast

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Are you guys on the same local network or something? Those are insane speeds for a consumer FTP server being accessed from outside the local network. Also, are you sure you got your internet speeds right? 17MB/s = 136Mb/s, which is less than half of the speed you reported.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

6 hours ago, Testcatt said:

Hi,

5480549288[1].png

Maybe the cpu isn't powerful enough or the drives aren't fast enough. Look for a bottle neck cpu and drive load.

4 hours ago, Principis said:

Maybe the cpu isn't powerful enough or the drives aren't fast enough. Look for a bottle neck cpu and drive load.

10 hours ago, failblox said:

Are you guys on the same local network or something? Those are insane speeds for a consumer FTP server being accessed from outside the local network. Also, are you sure you got your internet speeds right? 17MB/s = 136Mb/s, which is less than half of the speed you reported.

I apologize to both of you for this whole post, I was extremely tired when this post was made and had all of my numbers confused and got some weird result.

Thanks a bunch for trying to help though! :D

Is the Server located in a different location, please also note FTP is a slow protocol as is, if you're trying to copy a large quantity of files it is much easier to Zip/Tarball the files into a bundle as file level copying/downloading takes much longer than block level. An alternative such as over HTTP or RSYNC would possibly be quicker, do you happen to have any more info about the server such as location, pathping / MTR to the server?

Jr. Systems Administrator

*All my opinions are my own based on my Technical Experiences and Tech Reviews!