USB Internet Adapter Help

zLuigisMansionMaster9
Go to solution Solved by zLuigisMansionMaster9,

From the reviews I have decided I will buy this internet adapter because I only have about 1.1 mb per second network speed. https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN781ND-Wireless-Express-Low-profile/dp/B0036AFAEW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1468624620&sr=8-5&keywords=PCIE+wifi+adapter+TPlink

So, I am building a computer, and my new PC won't be near any Ethernet cables, so I have been trying to find a good adapter that can handle a constant gaming load, since I will be gaming online a lot. I don't have very fast internet, around 1.1 megabytes, so I dont need anything top of the line in that way, I just need a network USB adaper that costs around 20 dollars that can handle constant online gaming. I have been looking at adapters but I don't know where to start when verifying if they will work for gaming for a long time, so thats why I came here. Thank you for any suggestions.

Step 1: Don't buy a USB wifi adapter. They're all crap. 

Step 2: Buy a PCIE wifi adapter from Asus, Intel, or TPLink (they're basically all good depending on how much you want to spend -- Intel's offerings generally have less driver compatibility issues, but they also are $40+).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I've been using my netgear a6100 adapter for around 14 months now and have never had any issues with it.  Not all usb wifi adapters are crap.  There are some variables.  However yes, djdwosk97 is correct overall.  PCI express has more stable bandwidth, more of it, and it's a dedicated "channel" of power and signal delivery to and from the device connected to it.  

Why would your PC not be near or near enough to any ethernet cable connections?  I'm not trying to be nosy, but If there is a router in the same room, or even in the same home you will be using it in, there isn't  much reason to think you couldn't connect to it via ethernet cable.  

If my assumption is correct, then next time is simply this.  Is there a problem with cable management such as reasonable hiding the ethernet cable and ensuring it's out of the way so no one could trip over it?  Adding to that question, is there carpet in the room where the router is versus the room your PC will be used at?  If yes, that is the easiest way to hide the cable.  Just buy a flat style Cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable with enough length to easily route it out of sight and along the bottom of the walls just underneath the carpet and connect it straight to the router on one of its four available ports.

Its a safe bet you will pay around the same price  or maybe 5 to 10 bucks more ( depending on the length of ethernet cord you need) and have a much more guaranteed internet signal with the most stability.  I would venture to guess your router is a Wireless n or G router.  If so and if you must connect to it via wireless, ensure you connect to it via Wireless A ( not G) from your wifi card and select 5ghz as the preference in the options once you buy your Wifi card.  Ensure the router can broadcast in that too, which dadgum near all of them these days can.  This way, you're ensured of a virtually non-congested connection method even if you had a microwave in the same room nuking your food as you game since it's on 2.4ghz spectrum.

Sorry if that was a lot of information before decision making time, but education and proper planning help people make better decisions.  Cheers! :D

Well, Thats because my PC is going to be in a different room, because of it would not be the best of conveniences to put it in the same room as the router. And yes, it does have 4 Ethernet cable slots, but my PC will be a little far away to connect a router. The PC won't be blocked by any obstacles just in a room a little ways away, so I will have pretty good internet. I understand, and I am very new, this is my first PC I am building, and figuring out exactly what parts and how to use them to the best is something I have not done yet. So I am fine with you asking that question, and I am glad to answer.