A driver issue with RX480?

jonnyyyl

Finally got my hands on the latest AMD RX480.

Everything went smoothly I think. The CD driver that came with the GPU was only intended for Windows 10. After some searching at the AMD website, the appropriate driver was found and Crimson was installed. 

Running Win 7 on my rig.  I got 2 monitors extended. One Dell which is vertical, connected by HDMI, and the other a LG wide monitor, horizontally by DisplayPort. 

After some general use, the cursor turns into a dotted, vertical line. This seems to only happen on the LG monitor, as I move my cursor to the vertical screen, the cursor goes back to normal.

Under the mouse properties menu, enabling pointer shadow would turn the mouse into a black box. The temporary fix appears to be just enabling pointer trails and keeping it to the shortest. 

I have tried uninstalling Crimson and reinstalling it, and that doesn't seem to fix it. 

Some help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Have you tried turning the screens both to either horisontal or vertical to see if there's any change? Might simply be a driver issue or perhaps even firmware. Its still in its infancy so a few bugs is to be expected. 

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

On 7/14/2016 at 6:35 PM, Clonzoo said:

Have you tried turning the screens both to either horisontal or vertical to see if there's any change? Might simply be a driver issue or perhaps even firmware. Its still in its infancy so a few bugs is to be expected. 

sigh.

no luck.

If possible try changing the HDMI with the Display port and the other way, see what happens.

Also, Use a program called DDU, use this program to wipe drivers for the AMD, and if you had Nvidia in the past, run it for Nvidia aswell then install the new 480 drivers.

If the problem still persists look into if there is any firmware updates on it. 

If there is non or that also fails then I got nothing I'm afraid, but as I said, the 480 drivers are still in its infancy and there is bound to be bugs, so make sure you update the drivers as soon as updates becomes available.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

This has nothing to do with your GPU. Check the Cable of the Display.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 7/18/2016 at 11:14 PM, Praesi said:

This has nothing to do with your GPU. Check the Cable of the Display.

how do you mean?

like a defective display port cable??

2qxZj.jpg

This?

Try this. Worked for me.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2li0e5/fix_for_amd_video_cards_cursor_corruption/

"Implements the Windows Magnifier functionality but just the part that fixes the cursor, without the hassle of having to keep the magnifier open. It only works with "windowed full-screen" modes, otherwise, it will completely hide the cursor for full-screen games.

It shows only a notification area icon and you have to Middle-Click it to close the program."

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

6 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

This?

Try this. Worked for me.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2li0e5/fix_for_amd_video_cards_cursor_corruption/

"Implements the Windows Magnifier functionality but just the part that fixes the cursor, without the hassle of having to keep the magnifier open. It only works with "windowed full-screen" modes, otherwise, it will completely hide the cursor for full-screen games.

It shows only a notification area icon and you have to Middle-Click it to close the program."

yep. thats the one. 

i'll give that a go now.

thanks for that. 

20 minutes ago, jonnyyyl said:

It works!!

Thank you so much for that. 

Going forward, is it a permanent fix or will I have to run it again next time it happens? 

if I remember right... the issue doesnt always happen everytime.. but at random.. so i used it when it happened. If i stopped the program and it came back.. id leave it if inwas browsing and turn off whhen gaming.

As it is.. random happenings.. hard to say and i dont remember that far back...

Has been more than a year since I had an AMD card. This happened on both my hd7950 and my 290s...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

• 2 weeks later...

So a quick update on this issue.

The fix works in most cases. Only when I want to game, the cursor doesn't show up in BF4. 

I previously mentioned that the cursor will only show up as a dotted line in the main screen, which was connected by DP to the LG Ultrawide screen. Strangely, this is not the case with the Dell with the HDMI.

As part of a cleanup, I've switched the two cables around. The HDMI to the LG, and the DP to the Dell. The problem still persisted. It seems to be the case that the dotted cursor will only show up on the main screen...

Strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi OP,

I was having the exact same issue. Magnifyer does fix the problem, as does turning on cursor trails, however I also could not see my cursor in full screen games.

I found that turning off Mouse Cursor Shadow has fixed the problem for me.

On Windows 10: Control Panel - Mouse - Pointers - Uncheck Enable Point Shadow (lower left hand corner)

Settings on my RX 480 are stock. Running 2 DP monitors with 144hz Freesync.

I had the cursor bug multiple times per day since installing the card. I made this change 3 days ago and it has not returned.

Good luck!