AMD System + 1080

Mavixuz

Can I run the HTC Vive on an AMD FX 8350 and a GTX 1080 or will i run into problems I also have 12 gb system memory so should I upgrade or is it enough. 

Sorry if this isn't the right thread long time LTT watcher but this is my first post on the forum..

It will run, but the issue you may run into is CPU bottlenecking in games. 

Honestly, I would suggest looking at upgrading to something like an i5 6600K. It would require a board and RAM upgrade as well, though. 

Yeah thats what im trying to avoid and my cpu is pretty solid for me right now but I was worried about bottlenecks.

3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It will run, but the issue you may run into is CPU bottlenecking in games. 

Honestly, I would suggest looking at upgrading to something like an i5 6600K. It would require a board and RAM upgrade as well, though. 

he is right any amd prossecer prior to the zen release will be bottlenecking a 1080, a 1070 would suit you better unless you are planing to switch to intel soon.

We have come to the point where every CPU is a bottleneck for the 1080.

I hate the world bottlenecked sooooo much ... A lot of people are using it badly .. (I don't want to get bottlenecked etc.) 

well the term fits in this case a fx8350 is what 4+ years old and the 1080 is a bad ass card there is a potential bottleneck there probably not a bad one or even noticable but still probably going to happen especially since i dont even have my 8350 overclocked so I hate the word* bottleneck too but it does happen and could possible apply and there hasnt been any testing yet to prove me other wise

I think the last graphic card that the 8350 could handle was the 7970, and even then it was iffy once you overclocked the card.

I don't know if its relevant to use the word "bottleneck" here, because the GPU doesn't do anything without the CPU telling it what to do, and because a bottleneck is usually something along the way that slows down communication/traffic between two points. Ironically, Nvidia drivers work better with an FX8350 than AMD drivers.

A good example of a bottleneck might be: downloading from a server that can send 50MB/s and the network interface on your PC can receive 100MB/s, but your router can only transfer 8MB/s, effectively bottlenecking the communication between the two points.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR