Unable to flash bios (WIN10 x64)

Go to solution Solved by LightCode Gaming,
On 7/12/2016 at 9:35 PM, bgibbz said:

Generally it should just be a .exe file, are you sure your downloading the correct one? 

On 7/12/2016 at 10:08 PM, ARikozuM said:

Format a USB drive to Fat/ FAT32.

Extract your BIOS and take just the BIOS file itself and place on the root folder of the USB drive.

Hold whatever key you require to enter the BIOS and flash from inside.

Warning: Attempting to flash a BIOS from inside an OS is generally not accepted as any instability in your computer can affect the flashing process.

On 7/12/2016 at 10:25 PM, airdeano said:

in your mobo manual (pg 79)

Feel free to laugh at my stupidity, but I got it to work.

Turns out I grabbed the wrong BIOS update (for another board).

That explains the error I got when trying to force-update it through the bios.

Turns out they have two models of my board; the MX and the regular X. I had grabbed the X at first. Whoops.

So I'm trying to flash my bios due to a beneficial update, but it keeps telling me that "This app can't run on your PC", even though Gigabyte's website says that it should work just fine.

I even tried putting it on a flash drive, booting to the bios, and flashing it through there. It said something about the bios key not being valid in the flash, and didn't change anything.

And i can't get ahold of tech support because they aren't open when I am able to call.

Any ideas?

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

11 minutes ago, LightCode Gaming said:

So I'm trying to flash my bios due to a beneficial update, but it keeps telling me that "This app can't run on your PC", even though Gigabyte's website says that it should work just fine.

I even tried putting it on a flash drive, booting to the bios, and flashing it through there. It said something about the bios key not being valid in the flash, and didn't change anything.

And i can't get ahold of tech support because they aren't open when I am able to call.

Any ideas?

Generally it should just be a .exe file, are you sure your downloading the correct one? 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

42 minutes ago, LightCode Gaming said:

Any ideas?

Extract your BIOS and take just the BIOS file itself and place on the root folder of the USB drive.

Warning: Attempting to flash a BIOS from inside an OS is generally not accepted as any instability in your computer can affect the flashing process.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5-1-1 Updating the BIOS with the Q-Flash Utility

A. Before You Begin
1. FromGIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file thatmatches yourmotherboard
model.
2. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file (e.g. Z97MXGAMING5.F1) to your USB flash drive, or hard drive.
Note: The USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.
3. Restart the system. During the POST, press the <End> key to enter Q-Flash. Note: You can access Q-Flash
by either pressing the <End> key during the POST or pressing the <F8> key in BIOS Setup. However, if the
BIOS update file is saved to a hard drive in RAID/AHCI mode or a hard drive attached to an independent
SATA controller, use the <End> key during the POST to access Q-Flash.

B. Updating the BIOS
In the main menu of Q-Flash, use the keyboard or mouse to select an item to execute. When updating the
BIOS, choose the location where the BIOS file is saved. The following procedure assumes that you save the
BIOS file to a USB flash drive.

Step 1: 1. Insert the USB flash drive containing the BIOS file into the computer. In the main menu of Q-Flash, select Update BIOS From Drive.

Step 2: The process of the system reading the BIOS file from the USB flash drive is displayed on the screen. When the message "Are you sure to update BIOS?" appears, select Yes to begin the BIOS update. The monitor will display the update process.

Step 3: The system will restart after the update process is complete.

When I run the .exe it says "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher"
Well, I try to call them, but their hours won't work with me because I work the entire time they are open.

Tried that. It gives an error saying something about the bios doesn't match up.

Tried that, it gives an error, see the quote above.

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

4 hours ago, LightCode Gaming said:

When I run the .exe it says "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher"
Well, I try to call them, but their hours won't work with me because I work the entire time they are open.

Tried that. It gives an error saying something about the bios doesn't match up.

Tried that, it gives an error, see the quote above.

Detach your PSU and remove your GPU. Under the GPU there should be a button battery. Remove that and bridge the "CMOS clear" pins. Place the battery back in the board, and replace the GPU and PSU. Let me know if that helps.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

20 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Detach your PSU and remove your GPU. Under the GPU there should be a button battery. Remove that and bridge the "CMOS clear" pins. Place the battery back in the board, and replace the GPU and PSU. Let me know if that helps.

I'll have to do that at a later date. Really don't have that much time lately thanks to my new job >< But I'll definitely try that when I get time!

Feel free to laugh at my stupidity, but I got it to work.

Turns out I grabbed the wrong BIOS update (for another board).

That explains the error I got when trying to force-update it through the bios.

Turns out they have two models of my board; the MX and the regular X. I had grabbed the X at first. Whoops.