What is a VPS?

Let me quote Wikipedia on this one:

"A virtual private server (VPS) is avirtual machine sold as a service by an Internet hosting service. A VPS runs its own copy of an operating system, and customers have superuser-level access to that operating system instance, so they can install almost any software that runs on that OS."

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

On 7/9/2016 at 3:42 AM, Alejandro Mejia said:

Let me quote Wikipedia on this one:

"A virtual private server (VPS) is avirtual machine sold as a service by an Internet hosting service. A VPS runs its own copy of an operating system, and customers have superuser-level access to that operating system instance, so they can install almost any software that runs on that OS."

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

So I'm just renting a physical computer but it's not in my house? What's the point here and what are the uses?

5 minutes ago, The_Askinator said:

So I'm just renting a physical computer but it's not in my house? What's the point here and what are the uses?

VPS's are a cheaper alternative to a dedicated system and can be easier to manage depending on what they're doing. 3rd party API's and control panels give easy access for a user into one whereas it can be a bit more difficult with a physical system. 

Having said that, VPS's usually cap out around the 16-32GB of RAM count, 1-2TB of storage and 4-8 cores. Anything beyond that normally requires dedicated hardware. 

43 minutes ago, The_Askinator said:

Well not a physical computer. A virtualized computer. Its like if I ran Windows Server in VirtualBox. Installed remote access and let you remotely access it.

25 minutes ago, The_Askinator said:

Who uses them?

Usually used for Webhosting because Website's do not require a lot of computing power. Usually have good storage so they are great for databases and because all virtualized it sometimes makes it easier to maintain. However if you find a good VPS with good amount of power I have seen friends use them for Minecraft Servers. 

Like if you liked it. Share it if you thought it was great. Leave a reply if you emotions are a bit more complicated   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 minutes ago, InitializingDev said:

Well not a physical computer. A virtualized computer. It's like if I ran Windows Server in VirtualBox. Installed remote access and let you remotely access it.

Usually used for Web Hosting because Website's do not require a lot of computing power. Usually have good storage so they are great for databases and because all virtualized it sometimes makes it easier to maintain. However if you find a good VPS with good amount of power I have seen friends use them for Minecraft Servers. 

Well that's interesting..

A VPS is basically just a regular computer server, split into 4-8 virtual machines. So that means you're going to be sharing cpu, ram, bandwidth, and storage with other people on the same box. (No they won't be able to access your files). You'll all have a seperate operating system that you can all remotely connect to.