DVD drive

roy12

Should i get a DVD drive? what are they useful for? what are some good DVD drives that are silent 

Patriot has some of the best Optical drives on the market as I'm being told. But Optical drives are becoming a lot less useful. Everyone has moved to flash storage as it is more silent and less easily damaged. Optical disks have just had their time. 

I wouldn't get one unless you necessarily need one. 

I use my ODD quite often, but for a lot of people it isn't needed. If you feel like you need one, buy one. If you don't think you need one, you can always buy one latter on.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 3 drives in my pc, is great for doing backups and archiving seeing how massive amounts of storage is really really cheap in DVD format versus the alternatives I use the super write master DVD RW drive but can't say it is very quiet (Depends how fast you want to read or burn DVDs really 1x, 6x, 8x, 16x, etc.  and your case design) only so quiet you can make a plastic cube with a spinning disk inside :P I have the SH-224DB and can't seem to find it anywhere but doubt this one is pretty much the same and should be reliable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3H16639&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-CD%2FDVD+Burners+(RW+Drives)-_-9SIA9PV3H16639&gclid=CjwKEAjwn7e8BRCUqZiP_vnrtBkSJAC_lp4H_vZb-HzzSbSBhfhDjlFJG6cea1Q9QOiZqLBExjcifRoCWCPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds