Game Programming

Raijin

If I want to become a game programmer/developer how should I start/ what should I learn?

Some programming.

I also recommend :

http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I recommend starting on CodeCademy or SoloLearn to get the hang of how programming works, since most of game programming will be object oriented (C#, C++ for example).

You can take online courses from Microsoft Virtual Academy after that and learn how to make games in the Unity engine.

I recommend c# or c++.

This is going to sound lame but.. Buy a book on either of those languages or both. 

I have a c++ book here beside me thats bigger then the fucking bible haha

But they help a lot sometimes more then google.

1 hour ago, SD2020_ said:

I recommend c# or c++.

This is going to sound lame but.. Buy a book on either of those languages or both. 

I have a c++ book here beside me thats bigger then the fucking bible haha

But they help a lot sometimes more then google.

books are good but they don't change, languages do.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

books are good but they don't change, languages do.

That is very true.

6 minutes ago, SD2020_ said:

That is very true.

not saying that books are bad, the logic and the process behind building that programm will be the same just that sometimes languages change. for exapmle python 2 to print to the console or to get user input

print "This prints"
name = raw_input("your name sir?")

yet in python 3

print("This is so much better????")
name = input("This is probally better")

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

not saying that books are bad, the logic and the process behind building that programm will be the same just that sometimes languages change. for exapmle python 2 to print to the console or to get user input

print "This prints"
name = raw_input("your name sir?")

yet in python 3

print("This is so much better????")
name = input("This is probally better")

I get you :)

Any Online video tutorials that can help?

18 hours ago, Raijin said:

Any Online video tutorials that can help?

This guy teaches C# in a very manageable and understandable way! Although it is not game Dev tutorial it will certainly help you achieve what you want while creating awesome applications!

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

So, most people start with Unity for game programming. It is a free engine and can be downloaded HERE.

You don't really need any of the paid features until you start making larger, more popular games. It has the largest community out of all engines, so it has many great tutorials as well as assets. A great thing about it is its multi-platform support - it supports pretty much any modern platform (even TVs!) + things like VR.

The engine uses C# or a modified version of JS for its scripting. I'd suggest using the former, since it's a universal language which is more widely used than that the JS-like language (in Unity), which means more tutorials and code!

To start out with C#, I'd recommend the tutorials @Little Bear linked above, or the one from Derek Banas, tho it's quite fast-paced (link below). Remember that you just need the basics to start out with Unity. If you prefer a written tutorial, there is one from tutorialspoint, and there should be one from Microsoft. There is also one from Unity, which I mentioned below.

As for learning Unity, there are many video tutorials on YouTube of course, and there are the official, written Unity ones, which also include C# tutorials!

Just watch out that you watch/read tutorials for the newest version of Unity, 5 at the moment.

watch out for links in the text, marked underline

This is the programming/editing part, you'll probably still need to know how to make images and, for three-dimensional games, 3D models.

7 hours ago, Raijin said:

@Little Bear and @Gachr, Thank you for those tutorials.

Hope you get coding soon, and as Napalm once said "Code to learn, don't learn to code."

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein