Doing My First Build:Motherboard Question

Go to solution Solved by City7,
55 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

This build retains most  everything you chose in your original post, but tweaks some of the choices for better results.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KpwNNN

You only really need the Hx750i, but theres nothing wrong with buying the 1000W version. it comes with a 10 year warranty. so it SHOULD last at least 10 years. not a bad investment even if you don't think you need the total capacity, but for only a couple bucks more you never need to worry about watts for a decade. I for one did the same thing and have an HX1000i in my system right now and its only running a 6700k and single 980ti. They also tend to be a bit more power efficient if you're using only 40%-60% of their total wattage. so anything you spend now on a higher wattage PSU you will earn back in energy savings over the next 10+ years for sure

As for other upgrades, 32GB instead of 16 because you can afford it. 6800k instead of 5820k because its a bit better. X99 Deluxe II to match your white case/RAM, and it has a plethora of features. As many as you could ever really need (you can also go for X99 Designare EX from gigabyte for these same reasons). 1080 GPU instead of 1070 because its better and you can afford it. 950 pro instead of your SSD's (I assumed you were going to RAID 0 them) this M.2 will be MUCH faster than those SSD's (even if you put them RAID 0), slightly more capacity, and only a bit more expensive. H115i Because it is larger and better than H100i GTX for the same price

All of this for 2500 bucks. this leaves you an extra 500 bucks you could pocket if you want, you could get custom cables or something if you wished, or reallocate it for other things. for an additional 500 bucks you could get 1070 SLI instead of a single 1080 (or stretch your budget just a bit and get 1080SLI). You could also upgrade the CPU choice to 6850k (more PCIE lanes, which you don't really need in this build) or 6900k if you stretch your budget a bit (8 cores instead of 6 and PCIE lanes)

WOAH!!!!! That's really awesome thank you so much!  That just because my new model.  I think I'm going to need to buy a monitor with that extra $500.  

That's exactly what i was thinking with the 1000W PSU but do you think the higher watt PSU will effect performance?

I was going to attempt to RAID that's exactly right- this build is way better than what I had tried to put together and I so SOOOOOO sincerely appreciate you taking the time to tweak the parts in my list & having made it so much better!  That's way more help than I was expecting in the best way possible.  

Haha I think I'm going to need to buy a monitor with that extra $500.  

11 hours ago, City7 said:

Nice!  That HD is a whole TB higher than this one - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
and for about the same price.  I wonder why the difference is so large but the prices are so close?  

Just a heads up 3TB drives are still in there infancy and some boards don't support them I can't tell you if yours does it should do but there's still not a whole lot of information out there about the problem. Sometimes the drive can only be recognized as two drives one of 2.2TB and the other 800GB it's something to do with data addresses I had originally thought this was only the case with 32bit operating systems but unfortunately it extends to 64bit as well as my build wouldn't even recognise the disk. I don't mean to put you off it's just something to consider you should be fine and if you're using pc parts then someone else will be dealing with it anyway so if it was to be a problem they would let you know I guess. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

14 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

Mostly After Effects as it saves the timeline in the RAM. Once all the RAM is used it goes to the hard drive or cache drive. If you don't have an SSD you will drop frames like crazy. It is also nice when opening premiere and having AE or photoshop open at the same time

I didn't know that AE timelines are saved in RAM.  I'm assuming FCP 7's are as well which would actually explain A LOT haha.  
I went more video edit/sound as opposed to the other path of video edit/keyframe but I've always still had to use AE from time to time so that's really good to know.

4 hours ago, moderategamer said:

Just a heads up 3TB drives are still in there infancy and some boards don't support them I can't tell you if yours does it should do but there's still not a whole lot of information out there about the problem. Sometimes the drive can only be recognized as two drives one of 2.2TB and the other 800GB it's something to do with data addresses I had originally thought this was only the case with 32bit operating systems but unfortunately it extends to 64bit as well as my build wouldn't even recognise the disk. I don't mean to put you off it's just something to consider you should be fine and if you're using pc parts then someone else will be dealing with it anyway so if it was to be a problem they would let you know I guess. 

Oh!  I'm glad you told me!  I'm hopping over from Mac back to Windows so I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible to be able to get over the general learning curve as quick as I can.