Modem

rourke

We're moving soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a nice "future proof" modem. We're tired of paying comcast like 8 bucks a month for this piece of poop.

Here's the list of what comcast likes: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

And here's what I looked at already: http://amzn.com/B007IMPMW4

Thanks in advanced for the input, I'm not the best in networking knowledge.

Anything you can get now is pretty much future proof. Modems are a dead end, they wont be squeezing more speed out of them and if they do most ISP will have moved over to fiber by then.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Is your Connection DSL, Cable or Fibre?

What sort of budget are you working with?

What features would you like?

All I can say is don't cheap out on a modem. Much to some peoples dismay a decent modem can make a large difference. Not necessarily to bandwidth but with drop-outs, Along with other features built into a modem/switch(or more likely hub)/wireless access point.

If you're looking for a combo I would find something reasonably priced just avoid cheapo's they're generally cheap for a reason.

If you're looking at wifi as well figure out what you'll be using wirelessly and what kind of bandwidth they need because even though AC is the latest and fastest, there is a good chance you either; Don't have anything that will connect at those speeds or just using it for internet so won't get anywhere near that bandwidth. The other major thing with wireless is the higher the standard the lower the range (in general speaking). They combat this with better and more clever designs to get more range but a general rule of thumb is:

G - Slower standard more range

N - Faster standard/s less range

AC - Fastest standard even less range

Also if you're going to be using it to share files or stream video around your house try get one with gigabit ports.

All of this may be invalid if you're looking for a stand alone Modem. Lets just say if you're going to need a switch or wireless Access point it easier to combine them.

Personally I like Asus' new range and Cisco

Something like this[/url=http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_1439&products_id=20032] would probably suit you well (*australian site, australian price)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

SubTract Comcast offers cable internet. In some areas they offer fiber but its very very expensive to get. I cant suggest a modem but I can tell you this. You need to check in to a DOCSIS 3 modem. I would stay away from modem router combos, they suck most of the time. You need to check with Comcast directly to see if your area is DOCSIS 3 capable yet and how many down stream and up stream channels you get. DOCSIS 3 standard uses multiple channels to give greater speeds and such. You might want a modem that is IPv6 capable because we are moving in that direction in the future.

DO NOT... I cant stress this enough, buy a modem on Ebay. Most people sell Comcast owned modems on Ebay and they will NOT activate it.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Is your Connection DSL' date=' Cable or Fibre? What sort of budget are you working with? What features would you like? All I can say is don't cheap out on a modem. Much to some peoples dismay a decent modem can make a large difference. Not necessarily to bandwidth but with drop-outs, Along with other features built into a modem/switch(or more likely hub)/wireless access point. If you're looking for a combo I would find something reasonably priced just avoid cheapo's they're generally cheap for a reason. If you're looking at wifi as well figure out what you'll be using wirelessly and what kind of bandwidth they need because even though AC is the latest and fastest, there is a good chance you either; Don't have anything that will connect at those speeds or just using it for internet so won't get anywhere near that bandwidth. The other major thing with wireless is the higher the standard the lower the range (in general speaking). They combat this with better and more clever designs to get more range but a general rule of thumb is: G - Slower standard more range N - Faster standard/s less range AC - Fastest standard even less range Also if you're going to be using it to share files or stream video around your house try get one with gigabit ports. All of this may be invalid if you're looking for a stand alone Modem. Lets just say if you're going to need a switch or wireless Access point it easier to combine them. Personally I like Asus' new range and Cisco Something like this[/url=http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_1439&products_id=20032] would probably suit you well (*australian site, australian price)

We have the shittiest selection of isp's. Im in a town with like 6k people, so no one else cares to move in soon.

I'm on cable, and just looking for something decent to last me until *crosses fingers* google fiber hits the whole USA, but I know that wont happen soon.

The modem you are looking at on Amazon will work just fine. That is the newest modem that Motorola has out right now. The surfboard modems are very reliable and fast. I have comcast and bought a Motorola SB6120. One of the perks of owning your own modem is your ISP cannot throttle your internet. I pay for the 20 megabit service and consistently get 35 to 40 megabit down speeds.

SubTract Comcast offers cable internet. In some areas they offer fiber but its very very expensive to get. I cant suggest a modem but I can tell you this. You need to check in to a DOCSIS 3 modem. I would stay away from modem router combos, they suck most of the time. You need to check with Comcast directly to see if your area is DOCSIS 3 capable yet and how many down stream and up stream channels you get. DOCSIS 3 standard uses multiple channels to give greater speeds and such. You might want a modem that is IPv6 capable because we are moving in that direction in the future.

DO NOT... I cant stress this enough, buy a modem on Ebay. Most people sell Comcast owned modems on Ebay and they will NOT activate it.

haha My bad. no such thing as Comcast in australia :P

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Asus and TP-Link both have modems and modems-routers you can use