HELP WITH NEW CPU CHOICE.

So I recently have started to think about when i'll upgrade my cpu and what  to upgrade to. So I currently have an Intel 4790k, on a Msi Gaming 5 Mobo. As of late I have not been keeping up with all the cpu news, so this is why im asking the forum for help. So what im looking for: 1. Obviously a cpu that is a clear upgrade in speed, and what it can handle. 2. A processor that has at least 6 core- all the way up to 10 cores. 3. Ample pcie lanes. 4. Can over clock decent(not necessary but is nice).  

As for a price, price really doesn't matter, however over $1100 is not preferred. I am as well working on getting two 1080s, so I'd also like a cpu that won't bottleneck the 1080 in anyway,app, program, game, or form. I generally stream a lot, and also multi task a lot(youtube, making videos, playing games, downloads, ETC). I'm looking for a New Intel Cpu, please keep that in mind when giving suggestions. If there is any thing else I should know, like RAM that goes well or pros and cons about something you link me to, please do tell me as well. 

I appreciate any and all help and time given. ^^

Edited by justRICHTOFEN
typed what twice in a row.

Do you really need to upgrade? A hyperthreaded i7 4790K should handle all of those tasks fine.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Do you really need to upgrade? A hyperthreaded i7 4790K should handle all of those tasks fine.

It does, however I've heard some people say, ( and yes i think it's just hear-say), that cpus newer than mine bottle necked the 1080s in RTS's(Which I play a lot of). So it got me thinking what if my cpu would bottle neck the 1080s ill be getting in games, and other things?

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

6800k and DDR4 with a nice X99 mobo. 

I'll take a look at it, thanks for such a quick reply^^.

2 minutes ago, justRICHTOFEN said:

It does, however I've heard some people say, ( and yes i think it's just hear-say), that cpus newer than mine bottle necked the 1080s in RTS's(Which I play a lot of). So it got me thinking what if my cpu would bottle neck the 1080s ill be getting in games, and other things?

What resolution is your monitor? Because you don't need two 1080's unless you want to run all games at 4K. 

3 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

What resolution is your monitor? Because you don't need two 1080's unless you want to run all games at 4K. 

At the moment 1080p, but i'll be purchasing a 4k monitor shortly after the two cards. 

10 minutes ago, justRICHTOFEN said:

Even a i7 6700K, the fastest 'gaming' CPU on the market currently, will bottleneck two GTX 1080s in CPU-intensive situations.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

9 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Thank you very much for your response, and the pcpart picker link. I will look into the recommended hardware. Thank you^^  

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Even a i7 6700K, the fastest 'gaming' CPU on the market currently, will bottleneck two GTX 1080s in CPU-intensive situations.

Oh, well thank you of informing me of this. I'll still be looking into upgrading for later though. Also One of my friends has recommended an i7 6850k. It seems from the recommended cpu's the 6800k is known. But do you know anything about this 6850k cpu?

2 minutes ago, justRICHTOFEN said:

Oh, well thank you of informing me of this. I'll still be looking into upgrading for later though. Also One of my friends has recommended an i7 6850k. It seems from the recommended cpu's the 6800k is known. But do you know anything about this 6850k cpu?

AFAIK, more PCIe lanes. Which is completely unnecessary unless you plan on doing 4-way SLI (please don't).

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, justRICHTOFEN said:

Thank you very much for your response, and the pcpart picker link. I will look into the recommended hardware. Thank you^^  

It the same as the 6800K just with more PCI-E lanes and a higher clock speed. But once you OC their is no difference. 

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

AFAIK, more PCIe lanes. Which is completely unnecessary unless you plan on doing 4-way SLI (please don't).

Don't worry I'm not^^

4 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It the same as the 6800K just with more PCI-E lanes and a higher clock speed. But once you OC their is no difference. 

Thank you very much guys I have learned quite a good bit here. Im going to be taking a look at the 6800k, and thinking about it. It seems what i'm looking for in an upgrade.