Everything looks better on 8 year old monitor/ What cable to use?

MrIceCremeLollipop

Ok so I have a viewsonic VG930M which I think is from about 2008 and I also have a Goodmans tv which I use as my main display. That is about 5 years old Ish, Maybe older, Maybe newer I dont know. Now I run the goodmans tv off hdmi at 1824 x 1026 because it cant scale properly. I would like to use vga because It scales find and looks clear and crisp and it scales properly (Which is odd for a much older, inferior cable) but I get these horrific scan lines. Now its not the cable because I just pulled out the viewsonic Which I just tested Gta 5 on @ 1280x1024 Which looked significantly better and clearer. Even though, its an older 4:3 monitor using an old cable standard. Why is this?

How do I go about fixing this problem? I cant really buy a new monitor right now.

Also, If you need to know I have a gtx 750ti 

Tysm :)

6 minutes ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Ok so I have a viewsonic VG930M which I think is from about 2008 and I also have a Goodmans tv which I use as my main display. That is about 5 years old Ish, Maybe older, Maybe newer I dont know. Now I run the goodmans tv off hdmi at 1824 x 1026 because it cant scale properly. I would like to use vga because It scales find and looks clear and crisp and it scales properly (Which is odd for a much older, inferior cable) but I get these horrific scan lines. Now its not the cable because I just pulled out the viewsonic Which I just tested Gta 5 on @ 1280x1024 Which looked significantly better and clearer. Even though, its an older 4:3 monitor using an old cable standard. Why is this?

How do I go about fixing this problem? I cant really buy a new monitor right now.

Also, If you need to know I have a gtx 750ti 

Tysm :)

In the TV's menu, there should be an option for changing the "scan" or "zoom" setting, which cuts off the edges of the image by default. You need to change that to an option usually called "just scan" or "1:1" or "dot by dot" or something of that nature to fix the scaling issue with HDMI.

Since the image on the TV is being upscaled, it's going to look blurry compared to a monitor. Cable type has very little impact on image quality, if a monitor is a better quality display using a higher grade panel, then it will look better in most circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

In the TV's menu, there should be an option for changing the "scan" or "zoom" setting, which cuts off the edges of the image by default. You need to change that to an option usually called "just scan" or "1:1" or "dot by dot" or something of that nature to fix the scaling issue with HDMI.

Since the image on the TV is being upscaled, it's going to look blurry compared to a monitor. Cable type has very little impact on image quality.

Ok, so I have had a look and there is nothing to do with scanning or zoom or anything like that. And The thing is when I run it at native 1080p, It still looks like S**t. AND doesnt fit on the bleeding screen! Also, your saying cable type has little impact but why can I have a pleasurable experience (If there was no scan lines) that is crystal clear on vga but not on hdmi?

3 minutes ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Ok, so I have had a look and there is nothing to do with scanning or zoom or anything like that. And The thing is when I run it at native 1080p, It still looks like S**t. AND doesnt fit on the bleeding screen! Also, your saying cable type has little impact but why can I have a pleasurable experience (If there was no scan lines) that is crystal clear on vga but not on hdmi?

Because the TV decides to scale up the image when connected over HDMI, which blurs the image. If you removed that behavior from the TV it would look fine. It doesn't actually have anything to do with HDMI vs VGA.

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Because the TV decides to scale up the image when connected over HDMI, which blurs the image. If you removed that behavior from the TV it would look fine. It doesn't actually have anything to do with HDMI vs VGA.

Dayum. Well having another look in nvidea control panel, And changing to 1080p and back n stuff didnt do anything. I dont think its os now but it still looks like S**t. What do you suggest I do then?

1 minute ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Dayum. Well having another look in nvidea control panel, And changing to 1080p and back n stuff didnt do anything. I dont think its os now but it still looks like S**t. What do you suggest I do then?

Go to a local thrift shop and pick up something, there's bound to be a monitor of some sorts...

10 minutes ago, clarkmcc said:

Go to a local thrift shop and pick up something, there's bound to be a monitor of some sorts...

I think they are rare in england as it is. I only live in a little town with a charity shop that The only peice of electronics that it ever had was a atari 2600, A 3.5mm headphone jack and lots of proprietary cables. :( Looks like its time to save for a new monitor lol.