A new problem entirely

johnadams123412

My friend build a rig, im not here with him, we initally had a problem where he'd turn on the computer and anything we tried to do like download something, the disk usage would go to a 100% and the computer would just freeze completely. 
We were told to leave the computer on and let it go for a night. And we did it. Come today and now the computer wont turn on. Basically we press power button, all the lights for dram, cpu, vga light up red and everything powers off. I literally searched everywhere for a fix and cant find anything. He disassembled and reassembled and same thing is happening. what to do :(

3 minutes ago, IshGames said:

My friend build a rig, im not here with him, we initally had a problem where he'd turn on the computer and anything we tried to do like download something, the disk usage would go to a 100% and the computer would just freeze completely. 
We were told to leave the computer on and let it go for a night. And we did it. Come today and now the computer wont turn on. Basically we press power button, all the lights for dram, cpu, vga light up red and everything powers off. I literally searched everywhere for a fix and cant find anything. He disassembled and reassembled and same thing is happening. what to do :(

Did you make sure to install the standoffs?

17 minutes ago, IshGames said:

*snip*

Just reassembling everything won't do it. First try a CMOS reset. If you still have the problem then it might be a hardware issue.

When you have boot problems you have to pinpoint what is the cause. So you have to go one by one with the components.

-Take everything out of the case, lay everything on a table/desk (this eliminates problems with the case).

-Use the motherboard box (put the mobo on it).

-Use only the bare minimum (mobo, CPU and 1 stick of RAM).

-Try booting up, if it doesn't work try another RAM slot or another RAM stick.

Update us on the results.

Edited by wkdpaul
Typos

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

40 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Did you make sure to install the standoffs?

yes.

26 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Just reassembling everything won't do it. First try a CMOS reset. If you still have the problem then it might be a hardware issue.

When you have boot problems you have to pinpoint what is the cause. So you have to go one by one with the components.

-Take everything out of the case, lay everything on a table/desk (this eliminates problems with the case).

Will perform cmos reset, told friend to do it now. 
Will update you after. 

40 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

For booting with bare minimum, he tells me he doesnt have the adapter for the motherboard to the monitor. Only an hdmi for the video card to the monitor. 

44 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

He tried to boot up again with bare minimum, and it would turn on for a few seconds and immediately power off. 

1 minute ago, IshGames said:

For booting with bare minimum, he tells me he doesnt have the adapter for the motherboard to the monitor. Only an hdmi for the video card to the monitor. 

You need to work with what you have ;)

So using the GPU will be fine for a while, but if the problem can't be found he'll have to rule out the GPU, so finding a way to boot without the GPU might be needed. But for now I guess it'll be fine.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

You need to work with what you have ;)

So using the GPU will be fine for a while, but if the problem can't be found he'll have to rule out the GPU, so finding a way to boot without the GPU might be needed. But for now I guess it'll be fine.

read the above ^^

2 minutes ago, IshGames said:

read the above ^^

lol you're too fast for me and my phone :P

If it's still doing it then it's down to the core components, that's where it gets harder because now he'll need spare parts!

First thing is to rule out the PSU (so he has to try with another PSU)

If not, next thing is the RAM, then the motherboard and CPU.

It's easier to find a similar build that works, then try to switch the components until the working PC strops working.

Like I said, that's the hard part of troubleshooting since people rarely have 2 similar rigs!

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

lol you're too fast for me and my phone :P

If it's still doing it then it's down to the core components, that's where it gets harder because now he'll need spare parts!

First thing is to rule out the PSU (so he has to try with another PSU)

If not, next thing is the RAM, then the motherboard and CPU.

It's easier to find a similar build that works, then try to switch the components until the working PC strops working.

Like I said, that's the hard part of troubleshooting since people rarely have 2 similar rigs!

He doesnt have another rig handy. Ill see what we can do from here. Thanks for the help. 

4 minutes ago, IshGames said:

He doesnt have another rig handy. Ill see what we can do from here. Thanks for the help. 

Small "mom&pop" tech shops are often great for those problems, they will let you use spare parts and let you diagnose for free or for a small fee as long as you do it on your own.

Someone on a local tech forum could also help with spare parts they have, I've done it a few times (help someone locally).