I need a new CPU (+ a motherboard, obviously)

Greetings!

I came here to ask you guys for some help. I finally have the occasion to renew my CPU (and with that, the motherboard as well) but i don't really know what i should look at. I don't really know the criteria for choosing a good motherboard or CPU. 

I have 12 GBs of DDR3 RAM, and my GPU is a MSI GeForce GTX 970. It would be ideal if i didn't get bottlenecked so hard as i am with my current CPU (i5 760).

I use my PC for both gaming and media creation. I don't play much, i play only 2 to 3 games for now, but i edit videos, and i need a great-looking video in as less time as possible. (But let's consider it a 50/50 deal for now)

But honestly i want a good change, since this is probably the last time i'll change my PC since i will be going to uni in less than 2 years and won't have time for gaming as much.

My budget is up to $400, i can add a bit more if there isn't any other possibility. I'll rely on your advice. See you!

you could get a 6600k and a mobo that supports ddr3 like this http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pdJxMp   

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

7 minutes ago, BZN said:

Greetings!

I came here to ask you guys for some help. I finally have the occasion to renew my CPU (and with that, the motherboard as well) but i don't really know what i should look at. I don't really know the criteria for choosing a good motherboard or CPU. 

I have 12 GBs of DDR3 RAM, and my GPU is a MSI GeForce GTX 970. It would be ideal if i didn't get bottlenecked so hard as i am with my current CPU (i5 760).

I use my PC for both gaming and media creation. I don't play much, i play only 2 to 3 games for now, but i edit videos, and i need a great-looking video in as less time as possible. 

But honestly i want a good change, since this is probably the last time i'll change my PC since i will be going to uni in less than 2 years and won't have time for gaming as much.

My budget is up to $400, i can add a bit more if there isn't any other possibility. I'll rely on your advice. See you!

at this one id recommend you do a Dual Xeon build. since you say your main goal is workstation. get a dual socket LGA 2011 board for around $200 to $300 then pair it with 2 Xeon E5 2670s and you now have a 16 core 32 thread monster for under $400 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

at this one id recommend you do a Dual Xeon build. since you say your main goal is workstation. get a dual socket LGA 2011 board for around $200 to $300 then pair it with 2 Xeon E5 2670s and you now have a 16 core 32 thread monster for under $400 

let's say i do 50%/50% of both ^_^

25 minutes ago, BZN said:

even then the dual xeon will do 1080p gaming at high settings and 1440p gaming with settings dropped down a bit. but in workstation is where the dual xeon will shine very bright 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

29 minutes ago, BZN said:

14 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

looks promising, but i don't know if i really want 2 CPUs. +There are almost no LGA2011 2xSocket boards around. So i'm afraid i'll have to drop this. Other than that i'd have to change my supply as well. I'm relying on the fact that a new CPU will need less power than my actual one does (95W vs the world). 

The 4690k and 6600k kind of catched me. But i'm curious why is nobody here suggesting an i7?

1 hour ago, BZN said:

because everyone here wants you to OC. so thats why majority of people here are just gamers so they are the i5 master race. personally, since you dont like the dual xeon idea id recommend you an i7 6700 non K and an cheapo lga 1151 board and you can call it a day for under $400. 

59 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

because everyone here wants you to OC. so thats why majority of people here are just gamers so they are the i5 master race. personally, since you dont like the dual xeon idea id recommend you an i7 6700 non K and an cheapo lga 1151 board and you can call it a day for under $400. 

Yeah, i don't want to OC since i'm a newbie when it comes to such things. I wanted to fiddle a bit with my current CPU but my cooler is garbage (it's the original). But i want to keep it cool, not to play with something i can't play with. But thanks man i'll consider it!

Ok, i have decided upon my CPU and it's gonna be the i7 6700, great thanks to @glitchmaster0001.

But the motherboard still remains a mistery, here's a list with the 1151 socket motherboards. Maybe someone can help me (taking in consideration the settings in my first post).

If you have troubles with translation i'll gladly help.

Link: http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-de-baza/filtre/general-soclu-procesor-socket-1151/general-recomandat-pentru-gaming-da/memorii-suportate-tip-memorie-ddr3/

1 hour ago, BZN said:

Is it good if i'm never planning to OC as well?

if you ever want to OC there is an exploit where you can OC non K series CPUs using the BLCK with Z170 Chipset boards. though it is risky since you are messing with the BLCK but life is full of risks and rewards and i will leave that choice up to you, just know that a z170 board is much more expensive than a cheapo non OC budget board. 

24 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

if you ever want to OC there is an exploit where you can OC non K series CPUs using the BLCK with Z170 Chipset boards. though it is risky since you are messing with the BLCK but life is full of risks and rewards and i will leave that choice up to you, just know that a z170 board is much more expensive than a cheapo non OC budget board. 

So i should pick another card from the link i posted above? Or stick with the one suggested?

12 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

even then the dual xeon will do 1080p gaming at high settings and 1440p gaming with settings dropped down a bit. but in workstation is where the dual xeon will shine very bright 

1440p gaming requires less CPU than 1080p gaming... 1080P high settings is more demanding than 4K for a CPU :)

Resolution only increases GPU usage. Higher settings and higher framerate increase CPU usage.

12 minutes ago, Hiebly said:

1440p gaming requires less CPU than 1080p gaming... 1080P high settings is more demanding than 4K for a CPU :)

Resolution only increases GPU usage. Higher settings and higher framerate increase CPU usage.

but he has a GTX 970 so when he goes 1440p the GPU will be hit harder than it was at 1080p thus settings need to be dropped a little in order to get buttery smooth frame rates. 

21 minutes ago, BZN said:

So i should pick another card from the link i posted above? Or stick with the one suggested?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/xVDDWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/xVDDWZ/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 14:10 EDT-0400

here this is a good budget board and it will suit your needs since you dont want to OC 

56 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Its not only Z170, they also do it in the H chipsets.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-non-z170-bclk-overclocking-motherboards,31362.html

21 minutes ago, SliceT said:

huh, i never knew that, from what i heard it was only doable with the Z170 chipset, thats pretty intresting but still at OPs budget i dont think he can fit an H170 board in there. maybe an H110 board but other than that yea... 

I think ASrock has the official models called Hyper, those have the oc bios installed. The others I think you need to find online.

I still don't know which motherboard i should pick. 

I DON'T want to OC. Let this be clear. It may or may not support overcloking, i don't care. I don't really know the criteria for choosing a motherboard besides socket, memory supported or memory type.