Building a New Computer

Hey, guys, I need your help. I’m a 17 almost 18 year-old teenager seeking for help and advice. I have been watching so many videos about building a first time gaming PC. I decided to go and build myself a "custom" computer, for my needs. I mostly need it for gaming and maybe basic school work. But here is my problem, I don’t want to buy my components and then, later on, being like "shit..". I kinda found some parts/components that I think are "good". I may be going with an NZXT N450 case, a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 motherboard and maybe a 500w power supply. See my problem? I don’t know which power supply, wich processor ( i was thinking to go with an Intel..), a memory card, an SSD and a video card. I don’t know which parts that I should buy, I really need help.

What I want to do with the computer:

Yeah, I want to game with it, but I don’t want something massive that is going to cost me 2.000$ I just can't afford that. I’m still in school, so basic school projects. Hum I really like to play L.OL ( league Of Legends ) I want to have like 150fps, yeah I know its overkill but I had 60fps before and it didn’t go so well and often went down to 30-40 and that wasn’t the best experience. Really like other games like Shooter games ( Sniper Elite, Counter Strike, Battlefield, Fallout..) and much more. A must** that I really want to have, I want my computer to handle 2 maybe 3 screens.

Also, a huge topic, cooling. Should I just go with and normal cooling fan or maybe go above and buy something more expensive? Just note that my computer will be at my desk, where there is almost no air current. I don’t know if that will change anything.

Sound Card?

I just want to listen to my music. I was thinking about buying the Corsair SP2500 2.1 Gaming Audiophile Computer Speakers. Is a Sound Card good idea? Or just a waste of money... I could just buy one later on.

So, can you guys help me? Just to be sure:

Case: NZXT N450

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150

Power Supply: ( 500w ) don’t know which brand x

Processor: ( Intel... ) x

Memory: x

SSD?: x

Video Card: x

Sound Card: x??

CPU Cooler: x

** has to fit an Elgato HD60 Pro

My budget: 700-800$ I can maybe extend my budget a bit if it's really worth it. $$/performance

What is your budget? Just saw your last message. Are you in the United states?

4 minutes ago, Sander Van Dam said:

Intel Nvidia

Those are two separate companies... you know that right?

(They're GOOD companies, but separate... there's a lot of terms but you'll get it all eventually!)

5 minutes ago, Sander Van Dam said:

i want to have like 150fps, yeah i know its overkill but i had 60 before and it didnt go so well and often went down to 30-40

On a 60hz monitor (which you probably have), there's no difference between 60 and 150 FPS. There IS a difference between 30 and 60 FPS though. A decent system can maintain 60 fps which'll seem really smooth compared to 30 FPS.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Heum, im in Canada, and oh I actually didn’t know that.. So I don’t really need to go "overkill" and just stay at 60fps..? I’m thinking about buying my components on Newegg or another site where it can be cheaper. I can buy some parts in the US also but its gonna cost me a lot more.

How much can you push your budget?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($250.43 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($64.72 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($37.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($60.43 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($45.32 @ NCIX) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($84.98 @ NCIX) 
Other: RX 480 ($260.00)
Total: $893.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 22:22 EDT-0400

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

his budget is $700-800

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

I can maybe push it a bit, if its really worth it.. $$/performance

4 minutes ago, The Realist said:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LXDNNN i would go for this build

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LXDNNN
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LXDNNN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($250.43 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ NCIX) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($43.01 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($218.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ Vuugo) 
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($68.50 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $795.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 22:25 EDT-0400

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

Hey guys just want to say thank you for your help! :D and love your guys "builds" really appreciate it. ^_^

6 minutes ago, Sander Van Dam said:

I can maybe push it a bit, if its really worth it.. $$/performance

It's worth it. Note that the RX 480 (the graphics card) may not be readily available at the moment. It would be best to wait for the aftermarket, internal exhaust coolers anyway. They'll be available within a month.

Oh okay, well I don’t kneed the components right now anyway. I just wanted to be prepared for when ill have the money $$. But guys, what for cooling system? I saw your builds.. and what should I use? The normal cooling fan that comes with the case?

Maybe you can help me with this also? Because I want to share my gaming experience. I want to buy the Elgato HD60 Pro. But it needs to be plugged in an PCI slot, do I have one "extra" for that? Just remember im a tech newbie :S

13 hours ago, Sander Van Dam said:

Maybe you can help me with this also? Because I want to share my gaming experience. I want to buy the Elgato HD60 Pro. But it needs to be plugged in an PCI slot, do I have one "extra" for that? Just remember im a tech newbie :S

Get an ATX motherboard and it will, don't know about Micro ATX, and it won't have an extra one for Mini-ITX

Main Rig 1: Intel Core i5-6600k | Cooler Master Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler | Asus Z170-AR | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR4-2400 | Inland Professional 480GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD | Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB | NZXT S340 White | Corsair CX 600W PSU | Windows 10 Pro | PCPartPicker Link |

Main Rig 2: Intel Core i7-6700k | CRYORIG H7 Air Cooler | EVGA Z170 FTW | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SSD | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | NZXT S340 Elite Matte Black | Corsair RM 750x PSU | Windows 10 Pro | PCPartPicker Link |

Laptop: 2018 15" MacBook Pro | 2.6GHz 6 core i7 | Vega 20 GPU | Mac OS Catalina