Benefit of 1080 over 1070 ?

Where would you see the difference of the 1080 and 1070. I currently have only 1080p monitors and an Oculus Rift CV1, but currently I have no issues running on a 970 and a i5 4670k. So I'm wondering where I would see the benefit of spending the extra ~$300 on the 1080 ?

Less money to buy drugs 

which will decrease crime in ur area

and extend the lives of children 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

2 minutes ago, Eddie9ner said:

Where would you see the difference of the 1080 and 1070. I currently have only 1080p monitors and an Oculus Rift CV1, but currently I have no issues running on a 970 and a i5 4670k. So I'm wondering where I would see the benefit of spending the extra ~$300 on the 1080 ?

If you were on something like a 4k or ultrawide monitor then you should get a 1080.

If it's 1440p 1070 is fine.

If you're planning on keeping your monitor, don't upgrade until you have to.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Well, it's about 25–30% faster than the GTX 1070. But if you're already running games at max detail and at your monitor's refresh rate cap, then you probably wouldn't really benefit from that. It's a better fit for 2560x1440, 3440x1440, or 4K in current games.

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

If you're gaming on a single 1080p monitor, why not just get an aftermarket RX 480?

Because he already has a 970.

5 minutes ago, Deli said:

Because he already has a 970.

I suppose, but like Sapphire Ed kinda said. If one has a 970 already. The 480 would be a good card for the person to go to team red with or to get out of camp/team green.
Anyways right now on immature drivers and reference PCBs/clocks it only performs like a 970. With matured drivers, and OCing it could be more like a 980 or dare I say it 980ti.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I suppose, but like Sapphire Ed kinda said. If one has a 970 already. The 480 would be a good card for the person to go to team red with or to get out of camp/team green.

That's pretty stupid.

Go to a different company, shell out $250 to buy a gpu that's no better than what you already have.  LOL!

5 hours ago, wcreek said:

Anyways right now on immature drivers and reference PCBs/clocks it only performs like a 970. With matured drivers, and OCing it could be more like a 980 or dare I say it 980ti.

Better keep expectation in check. Sure, with more matured drivers, 480 will perform better than what it is now, especially aftermarket cards with better cooling and power delivery. But if you expect 980Ti performance, that might be one step too far.

2 minutes ago, wasd said:

That's pretty stupid.

Go to a different company, shell out $250 to buy a gpu that's no better than what you already have.  LOL!

How so? The GTX 970 is on mature drivers. Right now as it stands with the immature drivers and no real solid OC benchmarks  the RX 480 is on par with the 970 (because AMD apparently screwed up PCIe spec on the reference boards.).

Like I said as more mature drivers come out and aftermarket cards come out and those are overclocked, it'll probably see at least 980 performance.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

Better keep expectation in check. Sure, with more matureb drivers, 480 will perform better than what it is now, especially aftermarket cards with better cooling and power delivery. But if you expect 980Ti performance, that might be one step to far.

ffs I said maybe it could. Not saying it would. But it's not impossible. Just because it isn't likely doesn't mean it can't happen.

Say you have a 0.01% chance of being hit by a drunk driver (actually I think that number is a lot higher) that still means it can happen very unlikely because you have a 99.99% chance of it not happening but it could just be that 0.01% moment. Which is why I've been saying maybe it could even get up to arms length with the 980ti.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

How so? The GTX 970 is on mature drivers. Right now as it stands with the immature drivers and no real solid OC benchmarks  the RX 480 is on par with the 970 (because AMD apparently screwed up PCIe spec on the reference boards.).

Drivers don't make gpus level up like a character in an rpg game.  It doesn't make it "faster".  It just means that is plays nicer with games and applications.

Ha-ha-ha-ha!

Believe me, it won't become a GTX 1080 with a couple of driver updates.

27 minutes ago, wasd said:

Drivers don't make gpus level up like a character in an rpg game.  It doesn't make it "faster".  It just means that is plays nicer with games and applications.

Ha-ha-ha-ha!

Still not what I'm saying. Drivers can improve performance of a GPU and make stuff use it better than it currently is. Overclocking will help too.

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Still not what I'm saying. Drivers can improve performance of a GPU and make stuff use it better than it currently is. Overclocking will help too.

Have you been paying attention to what's going on with the 480?

Go to a search engine and enter AMD 480 PCI-E power draw.

AMD lied to make the 480 look more efficient.

I wouldn't be surprised if motherboards start dying left and right.  LOL!

16 minutes ago, wasd said:

Have you been paying attention to what's going on with the 480?

Go to a search engine and enter AMD 480 PCI-E power draw.

AMD lied to make the 480 look more efficient.

I wouldn't be surprised if motherboards start dying left and right.  LOL!

Yes I'm aware about the reference 480 uses more than the PCIe spec, aftermarket cards with 8 pin or 6+6 pin connectors will fix that.

You seem to be a bit of an Nvidia fanboy, because seeing current performance yes it trades blows with overclocked aftermarket 970s, with drivers maturing and aftermarket cards that are overclocked they will probably be closer to a 980.

Also I'm going to point you to the CS because you're new here, and you're kinda being a dick. 

33 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Yes I'm aware about the reference 480 uses more than the PCIe spec, aftermarket cards with 8 pin or 6+6 pin connectors will fix that.

You seem to be a bit of an Nvidia fanboy, because seeing current performance yes it trades blows with overclocked aftermarket 970s, with drivers maturing and aftermarket cards that are overclocked they will probably be closer to a 980.

I'm the fanboy when you're proclaiming that drivers will miraculously make gpus grow muscles.

Also I'm going to point you to the CS because you're new here, and you're kinda being a dick. 

I'm being a dick by pointing out your foolish beliefs?  OK now.

1 hour ago, wasd said:

Ha-ha-ha-ha!

There is some truth to what he's saying. Several of AMD's cards have had surprisingly large performance improvements via driver updates over their lifespans. Particularly the HD 7970 and Hawaii cards.

It is true that that doesn't happen often, and it's usually a slight improvement that piles up over several updates.

16 minutes ago, wasd said:

I'm the fanboy when you're proclaiming that drivers will miraculously make gpus grow muscles.

I'm being a dick by pointing out your foolish beliefs?  OK now.

a.) Like I said you're kinda sounding/acting like one. Drivers can help increase the performance of a GPU. Basically what I'm trying to say is what @typographie explained a little better than I did.

b.) Not necessarily, but how you are putting things, does make you come across as a bit of a dick. Again, I didn't say you were 110% being a dick, I said you were kinda being a dick. Difference. 

6 minutes ago, typographie said:

There is some truth to what he's saying. Several of AMD's cards have had surprisingly large performance improvements via driver updates over their lifespans. Particularly the HD 7970 and Hawaii cards.

It is true that that doesn't happen often, and it's usually a slight improvement that piles up over several updates.

Exactly. I do think that driver updates can bring the RX 480 closer to 980 performance levels, but I think there could even be a small chance of it maybe getting closer to a 980ti. But it will likely at least be closer to a 980 after we see some aftermarket cards with better power delivery (6+6 pin or 8 pin instead of a single 6 pin).

Because as it stands it does seem like it trade blows with the GTX 970, sometimes performing lesser than or greater than the 970. So I think the RX 480 has some potential to get better with driver updates and with games that support DX12 and Vulkan.

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

Because as it stands it does seem like it trade blows with the GTX 970, sometimes performing lesser than or greater than the 970. So I think the RX 480 has some potential to get better with driver updates and with games that support DX12 and Vulkan.

Only time will tell but I'm confident in my 970 G1 gaming that already performs at 980 speeds! 

As for the 1070 or 1080 it seems like the 1080 has a hard overclocking cap like the 980 did. Perhaps the 1070 holds the title as best overclocker for the price like the 970 did? That would make me more likely to go for the 1070 even for higher res. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

I bought the GTX 1080 to a bit future proof in 1440p all maxed out, I didn't just take current games into account. As for 1080p I guess the 1070 is future proofed. I change rigs every 4th year so thats the time frame I hope my GTX 1080 will last running all new games.