Good Reliable HDD?

Looking for a new secondary drive to put in my pc. (My secondary drive, a Caviar blue is starting to show symptoms of failure. Been about 4 years) What would be a good reliable hard drive that would last?, are Seagate barracudas any better?, I hear HGST has some reliable drives. Would like to hear your recommendations. thanks. :) 

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

4 minutes ago, J/C said:

Looking for a new secondary drive to put in my pc. (My secondary drive, a Caviar blue is starting to show symptoms of failure. Been about 4 years) What would be a good reliable hard drive that would last?, are Seagate barracudas any better?, I hear HGST has some reliable drives. Would like to hear your recommendations. thanks. :) 

Id get a hgst desktop drive.

WD Blacks have 5 year warranty.... so they will last atleast that long.

All of the 3 HDD manufacturers make good HDDs, they are also have bad drive lines. 

Toshiba make 3.5" HGST (IBM and Hitachi) and Fujitsu drives, Seagate makes Samsung and Maxtor Drives, WD makes 2.5" HGST (IBM and Hitachi) drives. 

I like to stick with WD.  I think they make great drives.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

8 hours ago, J/C said:

~snip~

Hey J/C :)

What are you using your system for? What will you be storing on that secondary drive? Do you have a SSD as a primary drive or is it another HDD?

As @UnitD77 suggested, WD Black is a good option for a reliable data drive as it is designed for heavier and longer workloads and a good 5-year warranty. 

Another good option for a simple data drive would be WD Blue (either the 7,200 rpm or the 5,400 rpm, depending on your needs). 

What makes you think that your current WD Blue drive is failing? Have you checked the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status? Have you tried running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests?  

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

The HGST NAS drives are a pretty good deal, and not particularly expensive, usually just over $100 US for the 3TB model.  Despite being NAS drives, I usually use them for desktops, as they are very reliable and still 7200 rpm.  I use WD reds in my actual NASes though.  One thing to note is that they (HGST) can be a bit noisy on seeks, but they're solid reliable drives.

But in general HGST and WD...well HGST is owned by WD...but yeah.  You can't really go wrong with either of them.

4 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey J/C :)

What are you using your system for? What will you be storing on that secondary drive? Do you have a SSD as a primary drive or is it another HDD?

As @UnitD77 suggested, WD Black is a good option for a reliable data drive as it is designed for heavier and longer workloads and a good 5-year warranty. 

Another good option for a simple data drive would be WD Blue (either the 7,200 rpm or the 5,400 rpm, depending on your needs). 

What makes you think that your current WD Blue drive is failing? Have you checked the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status? Have you tried running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests?  

Captain_WD.

I'll most likely go for a caviar black. My drive currently shows in Crystal disk info as "caution", and I can't even run the wd utility. (Failed SMART status) When testing with hdtune I also get failed results when testing. I use my system as a "workstation"/gaming pc, my secondary drive consists mostly of personal files like pictures, documents, music and backups. I do have a primary ssd for programs and os. 

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

20 hours ago, J/C said:

~snip~

If the WD Blue fails the tests on the WD DLG it shouldn't be considered safe to use and you should back your data up and consider replacing it ASAP. 

Gaming and general storage and media aren't really demanding and either the WD Black or the WD Blue would do the job just fine and you shouldn't notice any performance difference. If you prefer the longer warranty on the WD Black then by all means go for it. :)

Feel free to ask if you need more info on the drive - I'd be more than happy to help!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

• 3 weeks later...