Is shift+delete better than CCleaner?

trzasku
Go to solution Solved by wraptor,
2 minutes ago, trzasku said:

When I delete a file I do not want to have any residues. Should I delete the files normally and then use CCleaner to empty the dustbin or is the shift+delete option more precise? Do you know the benefit of using shift+delete?

SHIFT+Delete permanently removes the file from the drive, and by that I mean it flags that part of the drive as free space so other programs can overwrite that space.
Normal delete will just replace that current file to your Trashcan for you to chose wheter you want to keep it or not.

CCleaner essentially does the same thing as SHIFT+Delete would ;)

When I delete a file I do not want to have any residues. Should I delete the files normally and then use CCleaner to empty the dustbin or is the shift+delete option more precise? Do you know the benefit of using shift+delete?

Shift Delete is same as deleting from recycling bin. CCleaner can do multiple passes. 

2 minutes ago, trzasku said:

SHIFT+Delete permanently removes the file from the drive, and by that I mean it flags that part of the drive as free space so other programs can overwrite that space.
Normal delete will just replace that current file to your Trashcan for you to chose wheter you want to keep it or not.

Worth mentioning the CCleaner route is more useful for HDDs than SSDs. In HDDs, the actual data could stick around indefinitely if you just delete files the regular way. That won't happen with an SSD. And the way CCleaner fixes that potential problem on HDDs does not work on SSDs (CCleaner tries to write data where the deleted files were located, but SSDs don't put stuff where programs or the OS tell them).

12 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Actually it can go a step beyond, by overwriting the deleted files, so the actual data is truly wiped out.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Actually it can go a step beyond, by overwriting the deleted files, so the actual data is truly wiped out.

Using 'CCleaner to empty the dust bin' doesn't really do that, that feature only marks the files and space on the drive as deleted, wiping the drive does indeed overwrite that file space.

5 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Using 'CCleaner to empty the dust bin' doesn't really do that, that feature only marks the files and space on the drive as deleted, wiping the drive does indeed overwrite that file space.

CCleaner has an option to also overwrite the data when it's emptying the trashcan. Or at least it used to, I haven't used it in a little while.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

CCleaner has an option to also overwrite the data when it's emptying the trashcan. Or at least it used to, I haven't used it in a little while.

Me neither ;)